Neothauma or other shells for shellies??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I'm considering getting a few shellies, but want to order the shells first. So, does anyone know where I can get these (see title)? What makes a good substitute if I can't find them? I want them to be as similar to their natural shells as possible. Oh, and just because, what's your favorite type of shellie cichlid? Why? Thanks!

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Try arts and crafts stores, I go to my local pet store and they always give me the shells from when a snail dies for free, and my shellies have been great with them

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah if your buying from a lfs they should have some shells there mine even gives you shells for your shellys good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
You can even try some of the discount retailer department stores...Ross, TJ Max...any place with a home goods section with bathroom stuff. For some reason people associate bathrooms and shells.

I picked up a bag of probably 20 useable shells at a local Ross for 2 bucks. It only had one "unusable" scallop type shell in there, and that one even found use by being driven in vertically into a sand bank in the tank as a tiny retaining wall.

Just give whatever you get a good boil before putting them in your tank.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hmm... I never really considered why people associate bathrooms with shells! ;) I look for around, and ask my LFS what they have. Thanks!

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, try them. I got a whole bag of large shells for 10 bucks.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store