Juvenile or stress lines?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
So I have read that bettas show these lines when they are stressed and that they can show when they are juvies. I just got a betta a few days ago and she has been in her tank since. She is pretty small, barely over an inch with her fins. So I'm wondering if she is stressed or if she is just that young. She has been eating great and swimming around. Her tank is 2.5g. Is that really too small? It came with a filter, it has a heater and an anubia and small bit of java moss.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would say stress lines, due to the fact that she is newly home. also, i see her colour washed out quite a bit, and that indicates stress as well. she should colour up soon, once she settles in.

2.5 gallons isn't too small for a betta, although that is the smallest tank size i would house a single betta in. with plants, a filter and a heater, she should be just fine. add more plants and she'll be happy as a pig in mud.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Thank you! She's so pretty already, I can't wait to see her color up! I was hoping she'd be calmed down by now. Do you think she is young? I'm not as familiar with females, so I'm not sure of their size compared to the males. I will be adding more plants soon. I have snails in my other tanks and I don't want to get them in this one.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
they are generally smaller than males, but not by much. it does depend on the individual fish though, and i have had a female or two that was larger than any males i had at the time.

she looks to be at least 6 months old. with bettas, their fins are much shorter when they are young, even with females. if you got her from a store, i would say she's not younger than 6 months, and probably closer to a year. pet stores don't tend to sell the really young bettas because nobody wants to buy a fish that isn't yet fully finned or fully coloured up (juvenile fish often won't have their full colouring due to it making them an easier target for predators). your female is probably not full grown yet, but i don't think you'll see her get a whole lot bigger.

to help in not transferring snails over to this tank if you want to move plants - take plant out of tank and inspect for snails and eggs. ramshorn snails lay their eggs in little circles, mostly on the underside of plant leaves. they are easy to scrape off with your fingernail. pond snail eggs will be in a jelly 'lump' and are even easier to wipe off. you could give your plants a quick rinse in tapwater to help wash off itty bitty baby snails. won't hurt the plant any. and if you are paranoid about chlorine going into your tank, give the plants a dip in a container of water that you've dechlorinated after rinsing, before you put them in your betta tank.

and if a snail or two does get into your betta tank, it isn't the end of the world. snails can be beneficial, eating leftover food and rotting plant matter. they help to keep the tank healthy as long as their numbers don't get out of control.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
Give it a few more days at least. As long as she's eating, swimming, and generally acting normal then i would not be worried.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Sorry, new to bettas. When you say stress lines, are you referring to the red stripes along the gills? Because my new betta currently has those also. This way I can keep track of it, and treat if it's an infection instead.

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
No, it's a dark line that runs horizontally along the body. I know my pics are terrible, but my girl is solid lavender now, those black lines you see are the stress lines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store