What would you recommend to a newbie?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I'm helping my son's friend set up a tank. He has a 29g, not sure what kind of filter (probably came with the set up). He has 3 of the painted tetras, other than a couple more of those, what would you suggest for 13 year old boy that is just starting out? I was thinking maybe a powder blue gourami or a flame gourami.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I think a gourami of some sort would be cool, a school of blackskirt tetras would also be neat to have.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
Yeah those would be cool I love gourami as a center peice fish ina community tank. I would add about 6 panda corys and a school of cardinal tetras as well.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
kids tend to love "sucker" fish! he may like weird things like Kuhli Loaches, ghost shrimp, or spikey nerites

if the painted tetras are Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, you can just put in more of those, but the normal black skirt variety instead, to make a big happy school of fish that look like different kinds of fish.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe take him to a LFS first and get a list of what he likes. Then mix and match on paper---then decide.

What he likes and what we recommend may not always be available or compatible.

808_fairladyz

Hawaii Freshwater Aquaria Hobbiest
Nov 23, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
See if you can get columbian tetras. Had a bunch of those once. Regret getting rid of them.

Sent from my LG-P509

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
The painted tetras are gold skirt tetras, dyed or painted. I have seen them called fruit tetras also.

My LFS doesn't have a GREAT selection. My Petsmart actually has better selection.

He likes my cories, so those are def on the list. I'm just giving him suggestions, compatibility wise, and letting him choose.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
it's a good thing he has you so he won't come home with a clown loach, dragon goby, common pleco, and an oscar

808_fairladyz

Hawaii Freshwater Aquaria Hobbiest
Nov 23, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
He should think of a fish with some personality to it. Gourami or ram would be good for that size of tank.
Maybe a snail as well.
+1 on the ram for personality. Convicts are cool also.

Sent from my LG-P509

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store