180 Gallon Design

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Hello all,

No I did not buy a new tank, but I am in the process of buying a house and I am thinking within the next few years of moving my saltwater tank from a 60 gallon to a 180 gallon.

I would have the tank come with 2 overflows and I would do a 90 or 100 gallon sump.
I would make sure to have a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer hooked up as well.

As for substrate and stocking, I was thinking of using crushed coral instead of sand.
Thoughts?

Stocking, this would be a FOWLR tank.
Emperor Angel
Foxface (either one spot or magnificent)
Sailfin Tang
Maroon Clown
Christmas Wrasse
Powder Blue Tang
A Trigger - suggestions?
Open to suggestions on the last 5-6 fish.

If you have a particular brand of a product to suggest, I would welcome it as well.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
By the time 2 years rolls around, the technology in the hobby will be completely different. there are a number of drain designs out there now that have yet to make into mass production but its a safe bet that they will start showing up soon.

That said, the plan sounds good except I would not suggest CC for a substrate. I am not as anti-CC as some but it has tobe done right. It needs to be a thin layer (maybe an inch at most) and it needs to be vacuumed regularly (PITB in a 180) along with good flow across the any exposed areas (alos kind of a PITB to accomplish succesfully). Neither the depth or the large grain size of CC is going to be good for sand dwelling critters (gobies, pistols, snails, etc). I would encourage you to consider a mixture of fine to medium grain sand.

A good trigger would be a blue throat. The emporer and the blue at full size will take up much of the room you have in a 180. I know websites typically list a 180 as the minimum size for these fish but they really need something bigger IMO. I would want a small harem of anthias mixed in with the larger fish. You may want to reconsider the maroon and go with a pair of percs or occs to reduce the chances of aggression. The maroon will own a good size territrory of the 180.

With that size tank, do it right the first time when it comes to equipment. Again, the technology available in 2 years is unknown so brands aren't really going to help. If I were looking now, I would be looking at Tunze, Ecotech, AquaIllumination, Maspect, Vertex, Reef Octopus, SWC (really too many to list) as well as places like Bulk Reef Supply for things like reactors, media and RO/DI systems. I would also be looking for quiality used equipment and DIY (LEDs, etc) supplies to save some $$$$$.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a local contact who does service for a living and can import anything into the area for a good price.
I will have to see what he can help me design and see where I can save.

I will def have to think about the fish a little more.

I have a maroon in my 60 and he is the smallest in the tank and he does quite fine with my other fish.
I know they can get nasty, but so far no issues in the last 9+ months that I have had him.

I was thinking that once the tank is up and running for a while (~3-4 months) and cycled that I would move some of the fish from my 60 (again to help save $$$).

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Didn't realize/remember you had a maroon already. Fish definitely have their own personalities regardless of reputation. If you have the benefit of keeping both tanks running while you transfer, you will be in much better shape. Have fun planning :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store