anyone know AD frogs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
I have 3 ADF's and this one is either obese or going to lay eggs. i watched him/her eat today and is a bit of a glutton.

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
i have seen bloat, this is not bloat. Either piglet or preggo. Just curious if anyone knew which one.

Thanks, i just re-did my tank. from a 10 gallon to a 20 long.

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
she/he has been gradually porking up. it is eating like a little piglet but not THAT much. i don't feed that much. but i try to make sure the frogs get their share.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I keep african clawed frogs (the big ones) and males are slender but females are much more fat because they produce eggs. Females also eat more because it takes energy to produce eggs as well. Could just be a female, honestly if you don't see the tell tale signs of dropsy I am sure you're fine.

Some aquatic frogs are just pigs and egg production does make them chubbier.

What do you feed your ADF?

@ColleenT .. ADF cannot become pregnant, they produce eggs and the males will grasp them and via 'amplexus' they will fertilize the eggs as the female releases her eggs.

Last edited:

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
I keep african clawed frogs (the big ones) and males are slender but females are much more fat because they produce eggs. Females also eat more because it takes energy to produce eggs as well. Could just be a female, honestly if you don't see the tell tale signs of dropsy I am sure you're fine.

Some aquatic frogs are just pigs and egg production does make them chubbier.

What do you feed your ADF?

@ColleenT .. ADF cannot become pregnant, they produce eggs and the males will grasp them and via 'amplexus' they will fertilize the eggs as the female releases her eggs.
Obviously i know she'd lay eggs( since i said that in the first post) . i said pregnant b/c i was not sure of the word i needed. i feed them zoo-med and topfin pellets for frogs and also occasionally frozen thawed bloodworms or mysis shrimp.

i have seen them Bloat before, this is different. So either just a fat happy female or a female going to lay eggs. ( gravid?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store