Jewel Cichlid Feeding Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
Well I found out that my cichlid that I got for free was a Jewel Cichlid. The lady who gave it to me gave me a whole bunch of fish stuff and also the food they were feeding the cichlid, wasn't much left. They were feeding it Tetra Cichlids Flake Food. Now I have the cichlid with my turtle and everything is fine. The only issue I have having now is the feeding. Putting the flakes in is sometimes a battle with the fish eating it because the turtle will sometimes eat the flakes. So I went out to get sinking pellets and the fish wasn't eating them, he put it in his mouth then spit it out. I don't know if this is because of the size or not liking the food? He does though however eat the turtle pellets that I give the turtle, because sometimes they sink to the bottom.

My question is what kind of food would you recommend then? Brand/ if pellets size, and whatever else. Thanks!

-Erich

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
he's not eating the pellets because he is not used to them and doesn't yet realize they are food. he'll learn eventually that they are food.

not sure on the turtle pellets being suitable food for a fish. there are a number of different vitamins and such in turtle food that are specific for a turtle and i don't know if a fish's system can handle that type of food long term.

i do however suggest that you house the fish separately from the turtle. your jewel cichlid could end up as turtle food one day if you don't.

Bonne46

AC Members
May 20, 2009
My turtle actually is scared of the fish. I keep fish with all my turtles, and from past experience if I get a fish that is the same size as the turtle or bigger they tend to be scared. He tried biting the fish once, but the jewel turned around and went after the turtle and since then the turtle will not bother the fish.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i still would not chance it. a resting fish may not get away fast enough and there could be some bad injuries if the turtle does snap at it.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
My turtle actually is scared of the fish. I keep fish with all my turtles, and from past experience if I get a fish that is the same size as the turtle or bigger they tend to be scared. He tried biting the fish once, but the jewel turned around and went after the turtle and since then the turtle will not bother the fish.
Turtles are highly predatory and has all the tools it needs to harm a cichlid. Just because he failed once does not mean he will not try again. Eventually he will catch the fish off guard and either injure it or kill it. It's just a bad idea to keep a predator such as a turtle with fish, if you value the fish and would like it to live at least.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I have been breeding Convicts in my 40 breeder with a RES. The RES hasnt killed a single Convict.

Your millage may vary.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store