Can I add more substrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skele

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
In my 20G Freshwater tank, the substrate is very thin. It won't even cover the solid base of the fake plants. As it's already having fishes living happily, can I add more Substrate and small stones? Will it affect the fishes?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yes you can deff add more, no It won't hurt the fish

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
won't hurt them a bit.

when you get more substrate, give it a good rinse to ensure it is free from silt and particulate that could otherwise get into your filter and wreck the impeller inside it. then just add it to the tank with a measuring cup or other container, slowly lowering it down to the tank bottom, then spread it out where you want it. no need to remove fish at all for this. i've done it many times, with both gravel and sand.

Skele

AC Members
Sep 7, 2012
won't hurt them a bit.

when you get more substrate, give it a good rinse to ensure it is free from silt and particulate that could otherwise get into your filter and wreck the impeller inside it. then just add it to the tank with a measuring cup or other container, slowly lowering it down to the tank bottom, then spread it out where you want it. no need to remove fish at all for this. i've done it many times, with both gravel and sand.
I already have the substrate which I had purchased with the tank. I had cleaned and kept it in a bag. I think I just need to wash it once more and do as you said. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store