Controlling Tank Temps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AlexisMedina

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
I keep a small 20G tank that consistently reaches 29C in the morning and 31C in the evening. Does anyone know if this is too high for the small school of Rummy Nosed Tetras I keep? If it is too high, anyone know how to control those temps?

I know of those cooling fans sold at LFS's but they're out of my pockets reach of the moment. Anyone know anything cheaper?

Thanks.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that is pretty warm for tropical fish.

is this tank by a window? direct sunlight will definitely play a factor in the tank temperature. try moving the tank to a different location.

also, what sort of lighting do you have on this tank? certain bulbs (like incandescent) will raise water temperature like crazy. better to run cfl bulbs if the light fixture takes 'screw in' bulbs, or switch to a t8 or t5 style fluorescent tube light fixture. if you don't have live plants in the tank you don't really need to have the lights on much anyway, the fish don't care either way.

lastly, do you have a heater in this tank that is constantly on? malfunctioning heaters are a big issue and there have been a number of brands that have been recalled.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
29C = 84.2F
31C = 87.8F

Yes those temps are very high for rummynose.
They prefer 78-82F.

Is your tank covered?
What is the heat source? If a heater, what size (watts)?
Is it in a room where the temp changes often?

I think that you need to open the tank to let the water cool faster and if you have a heater, turn it down.
I have a tank in my room and during the summer I unplug the heater since it will reach over 90F in my tank.
I also open the top and run a ceiling fan to help cool the water faster.

I hope this helps.

AlexisMedina

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
There is no heat source but ambient temperature. I live in the Philippines and unless there's a typhoon or a strong gust of monsoon, the temperature will get hot.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Is the room that temp too?? If the room is cooler, I would uncover the tank.

Do you have plants?? If not , turn off lights.

AlexisMedina

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
Tried that. It's still very hot because the surroundings are hot.

I'm thinking of eventually buying those cooling fans at the LFS, but are they really effective?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
you can try using everyday personal-use fans to blow across the top. use water evaporation to your advantage to cool the water

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
if you want to get super inventive and impress your friends, you can run a small pump with air tubing into drilled holes in your freezer. use caulk to seal the holes of course. connect the tubing to a small heatsink/radiator inside the fridge, and run a return tube back into the tank. The freezer may seem too cold, but remember your radiator won't be a good heat conductor because it will be made out of plastic instead of the usual - metal. You could rig one up by coiling the tubing around a soda can to maximize exposure to the cold.

if this idea sounds stupid to you, don't worry. It is kinda stupid. But it will give you the results you want ;)

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
Uhm...drill a hole in the freezer several rooms away and pump water through air line tubing? Really?
LOL

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
can always do water changes and use cooler water/ just dont use alot colder because it may shock the fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store