New 40breeder tank! What should I put in it???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
I just inherited a 40breeder tank and am planning on doing a freshwater setup. I have a roigh idea of what I'd like to stock, and my wife is doing the scaping this time....she's saying she wants to do a "Zen tank" with.statues, pagodas, plants (not sure if real or fake...wha
, a Buddha bubbler (lol my idea). My proposed stocking list is this:

3-5 Guoramis
1 pitbull pleco
Bala or Redtail Sharks (2 or 3? Maybe one of each?)
1 Clown Loach

I THINK this is a compatible list, but I'm new to freshwater (by the way--thanks to all of you who have helped building my biocube reef! It is beautiful still!) so I'm wondering...what would you guys do with a FW 40 gallon? We currently have a biocube 29 and a 20gallon freshwater, so I'm excited because of ALL THE ROOM I've got to work with this time!!! Aquascaping ideas, planted vs. decorated environment, stocking ideas, or whatever suggestions or comments you've got...thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Ok, don't mind ditching the Bala Sharks...what about rainbow fish? Or Angels? Lol I'm quite partial to the colorful, shiny fish in FW, since I'm kinda spoiled with my saltwater fish.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
When I researched rainbows for my 40B, I saw that only the smallest species are suitable for a 40B - like praecox, celebes, and threadfin. Others are too active. Definitely research your selections as there are quite a few species not recommended for this size tank.

Also clown loaches are definitely not recommended for a 40B, they can get quite large and need a group. Redtail sharks are definitely on the edge, most sites recommend no less than a 55 G because they need the length for swimming.

For bright colors, have you thought about rams or kribensis? Both of those can go in a 40B, although I'm not sure if Kribensis are too hostile to go with gouramis (whiat kind do you want?) Also lots of nicely colored smaller fish you can have a decent school of, such as cardinals, glowlight tetras, etc. Some livebearers (guppies, swords, platies) can have pretty nice colors too, and all would be suitable for that size.

ETA - to answer your original question, I LOVE my current 40B (see sig for stocking) but if I did another I'd do a group of 3-4 Bolivian rams or german rams if I found good stock that could be sexed correctly, 6 "orange laser" cories, a school of 12 or so cardinals or maybe praecox rainbows, and maybe a pair of golden pheasant (not sure about the compatibility on the last but boy are they pretty!). I like angels too but would not use a 40B for them due to the short size - that would be my future 55 G or something ;)

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
For a 40 gallon tank I would probably stick with tetras(12 neons or 5 serpea), maybe a ram(1 german blue) as centerpiece, and some cories(4-6) and ottos(2-3). I would plant the tank and go all out on filtration if I was going to have any kind of rainbowfish, as they get larger then most fish you would put in a 40gal.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
I'm 99% done with my 40g breeder stocking.

2 Angelfish
German Blue Ram
12 Cardinal Tetras
4 Praecox Rainbows (I need one more)
6 Julii Cory
2 Albino Britslenose Plecos

I do think when the fish are full grown I'd be over stocked. Ideally I only wanted 1 Angelfish, but I bought 3 because I've always had bad luck when buying Angels at the small size I bought them at. One angel died within 3 days. I'll see how many make it. Only been 4 days.

I'd really suggest going with 1 or a pair of centerpiece fish, and one big school of another fish. I like all my fish, but honestly I've discovered that for me at least, one big school of fish is better then 2 smaller schools.

I'd suggest:

Angelfish
15 Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras
6 Juli Cory

If you like Plecos you can do one or two if you have good filtration (they are poop machines). And if you only do one Angelfish you add a Ram in there.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Anglefish would probably prefer a taller tank then a 40b, but they could work. Though they may make attempts at smaller tetras.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
The kribs I have, while beautiful are very aggressive and beat up my gourami (with response to their unknown compatability) although were ok until breeding time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
ive got a 40 gallon breeder, I've got 7 Harley Rasboras, 6 Espei Rasboras, 6 Head and Tail light Tetras, 3 julii cory, 2 Sterbai Cory, 3 Spotted cory(Corydoras melanistius) and 1 German Blue Ram. I consider this pretty fully stocked, but I am over filtered and have lots of plants as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store