My Tanks Now

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
So, it's been a long while since any of my tanks were mentioned on the forum, so I just felt like making a post about them. I feel that they are MUCH better now then they have ever been before, though my 40gal is still balancing itself out a bit. Each tank will have it's equipment, stock, plants, and decor listed in that order. I'll also describe the general behavior of the fish, as well as their general size and coloration within my tanks. Sadly, I cannot figure out how to get my laptops built in camera to work, and as such cannot get you any pictures at this time. I'll try to find all the portions of my digcam when I can, but make no promises of you ever seeing the tanks with your eyes. So you'll just have to imagine it :D

Lets start with my pride and joy, my 75 gallon, planted, and most diversely stocked tank. This tank is an amazing collection of fish from many different regions of the world and of many different origins. Admittedly, they are all fairly common, inexpensive, hardy, and easily bread fish, but that doesn't change the fact that they are all awesome! The tank doesn't have a biotype, but it leans toward South American fish. The tank itself is, as stated, a 75 gallon tank. It has a 1-2in deep sand substrate, some very nice rocks that look like petrified wood (actually, they might BE petrified wood) as well as some rocks that came from my back yard (some have metals and such in them, like fools gold, and look amazing). There is a lot of driftwood, with the smallest pieces being from a fishstore back when I used to have tiny tanks. The largest two pieces have VERY different origins: the largest is from a pile of old elm wood that had been collecting in someones front yard as they cleared it up from fallen branches, the second largest is from the ocean (I found it when I went to the beach, all sand and salt coated with various kelps and seaweeds on it). I'm sure most people would't have stuck that into a tank, but it's all worked out fine for me here! Other driftwood ranges in size from 6 inches to two feet. The largest two pieces are 3ft and 2.5ft respectively, taking ing almost the entire length of the fishtank. The 2nd largest (from the beach) has never really compromised with the water and sunk, to this day it remains floating at the top of the tank, with large amounts of java moss hanging from it. It provides the betta and the golden dream killi (female) with shelter, as well as holds back a large amount of duckweed that slowly spreads across the tank. It also houses a safe place for my pest snails to breed, which in turn allows them to sustain a population that my assassin snails (which are also breeding I think!) feast upon. Words alone cannot truly describe how much I like the floating driftwood, or the way my 9 or so pieces of driftwood have settled down over time to appear as, but words are all I have so do your best to imagine the appearance. They have a central pile where the 2nd and 3rd largest pieces cross each other, and the branchy pieces (2 of them) are directly above it, with a curved piece arching over the 2nd largest piece. The 4th and 5th largest pieces are stacked in a corner, with the 4th largest helping to hold the 2nd largest (floating) piece from moving in the current. The way the driftwood stacks is supplemented by the rocks and plants in the tank, and creates a number of shadowed areas for the fish that like hiding to hide in (though only the Glass Cats hide, and they are getting braver every day. I saw one nab some food from one of the Neon Rainbowfish!). There are several little random things in my tank. The most obvious are 2 terra-cotta pots, one on each side of the tank, from when I had a German Blue Ram (died during power outtage). Other such things are: an old bottle-cap, 2 filter impellers (from HOBS), and several marbles. Also a penny or two. You can occasionally see some tiny coral skeletons that managed to sneak in there at some point, and can often see gravel and larger grain sand substrate near the front of the tank (uncovered by tank currents). It's almost like an eye-spy game really.

Speaking of plants, I have a number of them. 7 that grow out of the substrate, and then a large amount (probably about 2lbs) of duckweed, water lettuce, and java moss. The 7 that are planted in the substrate are 2 java ferns (one of which has baby ferns growing at the ends of the leaves), 2 hygrophilias (both of which are just left of the center of the tank, and the foremost of which is considerably larger, though the rear one is growing fast, having better light conditions), a Ludwigia Peruensis, an anubis nana, and an Anubias Congensis. The last three came from my 20 gallon tank when it was still in my high school english classroom. All are doing well and growing at a steady, if not fast, rate. The position of the plants, both floating and planted, looks so natural it's amazing! The manner in which they grew (and are growing) increases the natural appearance of the tank greatly. I wouldn't move then ANYWHERE else in the tank at this point, as they just fit where they are. The java ferns, Ludwiga Peruensis, Anubis Nana, and Anubias Congensis are all on the right hand side of the tank, with the 2 hygrophilias being located on the left hand side. The Hygros are about a foot from the left wall of the tank, and the java fern closest to the right wall of the tank is right up against it. The right hand side of the tank has more current (3 filters exit there) and much more light (no duckweed/water lettuce/java moss), so the plants there are probably doing better then the hygros ever will. So far though, only the Hygros and the rightmost Java Fern have passed to 5in tall mark, with the rest being between 3in and 4.5in tall. All of the right-hand plants are closer to the front then the rear of the tank, as there is driftwood and a terra cotta pot in the rear half of my tank. The fish, mostly the cories and glass catfish, enjoy hiding inside the leaves of the hygros, and under the leaves of the Anubias Congensis and Anubis Nano.

And on the note of fish, I have a decent fish count. The tank houses 39 fish (that I know of lol), with the smallest being my recently added black neon tetras (to buff up the school from 3 to 6 after a filter accident). My personal favorite fish are, however, the 6 neon rainbowfish. The largest of them is also the largest fish in the tank (unless the pleco got bigger, I haven't seen him in a while). The neon rainbowfish have mostly silver bodies, average between 1.5 and 3in long currently, and have either brilliant red fins with a tint of blue over their bodies, or sickly yellow fins with a tint of gray over their bodies. From what I have determined, the 3 that have red fins are the larger, dominant ones; while the smaller ones have yellow fins. They all get along pretty well with each other, and the group dynamics are always fun to watch. After that, I would have to say the glass catfish are the most interesting. When they first entered the tank they were 7 tiny, timid little fish that didn't come out during the day. Now they are all larger, braver fish that come out during the day (though still not all the time) and are even willing to snatch food out from under the noses of all the other fish in the tank. They have a very communal group setting, as I have yet to see them steal from each other, and they are almost always found in little shoals of 3 or 4 at a time. They especially love the driftwood stack and the hygros that grow next to it, which means I can often view them swimming near the bottom of the tank. The only fish they don't steal from are the serpea tetras, as they are probably the most aggressive fish in the tank. When I feed the fish, the serpeas are right up there at the top, all but jumping out to get at the food first. They are oldest fish in the tank, having survived most of my learning experience, and live in a group of 4. They are probably the hardiest fish in the tank besides the betta (which survived my sisters sub-par care, poor thing), and are among the most interesting to watch when interacting with other fish. They don't nip, but they definitely make their presence known by butting in and moving the other fish out of the way with their strong bodies. They have a light, slightly translucent red coloration, with a dark black spot just behind the gill. Sometimes they have a white trim on their fins, other times the trim is black, I have yet to figure out why that happens. They are among the most beautiful fish in the tank, I think. While we're on tetras, my black and blue/red neon tetras are probably the most playful of the fish. They can often be found chasing each other and racing around the tank, except at night when they are all clustered together in a single school for safety I assume. During the day, the black neons and the red/blue neons avoid each other like the plague (racism much? lol), but at night and during feeding they all forget their differences and hide or eat together. It's a very beautiful metaphor if you think about it (how when it comes down to it, all people will work together in order to survive). The neons can forgive each other at night and during feeding, but the cories always get along. I have two types of cory in my tank: bronze cories, of which I have 2; and peppered cories, of which I have 4. They don't even seem to notice that they aren't the same, and they are by far the most spastic of the fish. It's always funny to see one suddenly go wild and jet up to the top of the tank and gulp a bit of air, then sink to the bottom like it's an everyday thing. It's also funny to see the other fish dart out of the cories way when such happens. Now we are at long last on the low numbers fish. The 2 ottos, single male molly, single male guppy, single thomasi pleco, single female golden dream killi, and single male betta. These fish are all elusive and hard to find. By that I mean I have no idea if the pleco or molly are alive anymore because they manage to hide from my sight (no bodies yet though!) The killi, betta, guppy, and ottos can often be seen scattered around the tank. The betta habits the upper left front corner of the tank, enjoying the thick cover of duckweed and water lettuce, while the killi enjoys the center front of the tank due to the water current that takes food directly to her. The ottos enjoy the driftwood and left side of the tank, and the guppy just goes wild everywhere. Last I saw them, the pleco was in the back of the tank, nomming on some driftwood or algae or food on it, while the molly was testing his strength against the output of my smaller canister filter in the back right corner. Thats all the fish I have in my tank, but other inhabitants include, but are not limited to, a breeding population of ramshorn snails, a breeding population of generic pest snails, a breeding population of assassin snails (I think), and 3-4 nerite snails (one my have made it into my 20 gallon lol). There are also some tiny worms living in the substrate (less now then before) and probably a few small invertabrits that are managing to survive in the hostile environment of cory-feeding zone. The snails provide and amazing amount of cleaning power in the times that I overfeed (often) as well as exist as a food source for my cories (I assume, regardless of who is eating them there are dozens of empty shells in the tank). All in all, it's a well balanced, well stocked tank I think. The filtration and equipment ensures that they can all survive with relative ease in the tank though.

Speaking of filtration and equipment, I should probably tell you what I have! My primary filter is an Eheim Classic Canister 2217, with the secondary filters being an Eheim 2215 and two HOB filters. The plants also count as filters I would think, but less so. My lighting is a dual bulb T5 HO Corallife light that gives the tank about 11 hours of light a day. There are no powerheads in this tank, as the two eheims create plenty of flow for it, and the tank doesn't have any CO2 system set up. There are a total of 3 heaters on this tank, 2 Jagers and one Eheim (I think lol). The two smaller ones sit near the top, hanging over the edge, and the largest, a Jager, sits on the bottom laying horizontal for better heating. The substrate is a mix of primarily sand, with some crushed coral and gravel (in several colors) from older tank set ups mized in. There is also some dirt mixed in, mostly from that time I dropped a potted plant in the tank when I was doing filter maintence. There isn't a hood per-say, I use 4 sheets of glass from the old basement windows as a hood to keep fish from jumping. It works, and thats all that matters. So, in sumarry, I have aroun 150 gallons of filtration, plenty of heating, decen lighting, and a good mixed substrate with a working hood/fish-suicide prevention device.

And now, at long last, we are DONE the 75 gallon tank. This could be a thread unto itself, but we still have 4 more tanks to go over (don't worry, none should be as long as what is above you!).

On to my 40 gallon tank. Or should I say, pond. It's about 2/3s filled with water, has a minicanister for filtration, no heating, a T5 HO light, and a hood built for a 55gal with divider. It's a mess lol. The inhabitants are the misfit fish I don't want, namely, the misquito fish, the female molly, and a freaking HOARD of guppies that I found living in my outdoor pond (I dont even remember putting guppies into that pond!!!). Also a beautiful male betta with vibrant red coloration. The primary plants are milkweed, java moss, and waterlettuce (the tank exists to keep the lettuce alive through the winter :thumbsup:). The fish are all doing fine, as far as I can tell, and the plants seem to be doing okay (though keeping water lettuce alive is hard at best). The tank is barebottom and has driftwood for cover and a plastic arch for decor. Thats about all for this tank (can you tell I dislike it?). Oh, a note, I do want to evenually turn this tank into a saltwater set up some day in the future. Wish me luck there lol.

Now we can go to my smallest tanks, the two 5.5 gallon tanks. They are alsso for keeping the water lettuce alive, but more then that they are for breeding and growing those miniscuel little invertabrits like cyclops and daphnia. They are unfiltered except for the plants, and get a small amount of food every so often. So far so good :D The light on them is for a 10gal tank, the standard incandecent aquaclear light+hood thingy. It's old as crap though lol.

And finally, my newest tank: 20 gallon long, T8 light, minicanister filter, jager heater, and fine sand substrate. This tank is houses my new favorite fish EVER: scarlet jem badis! It took me a while to get the guts to actually go on a limb and try them out, but now that I have I think they will do swimmingly (lol, get it?). The tank has two Scarlet Gem Badis, 4 Cories, an 1 sparkling gourami. So far the badis have been the most active of the fish, with the cories still sufferring from tripitis (they all got here yesterday). The badis though... wow! They are both less then half an inch long, and already they have AMAZING color. Brilliant red bodies with scarlet bars and an amazing blue tint and highlights! They are easily the most beautiful fish I have ever set eyes on, and I REALLY hope I can handle them. They are the most difficult fish to care for I have tried yet, from what I've been told an researched myself. I've only fed them once so far (this morning) and they seemed to be going for the food (some flake food and a few cyclops I managed to catch from my 5.5s) but I'm still nervous about them. The gouramis is shy so far, but I'm pretty sure I saw it nab some flakes as they went by. The tank itself is heavily planted with all live plans. The plants are as follows: 1 Hygro (largest), some java moss, some java fern, an Anubias nana, a ludwiga (needle leaf), some micro swords, some baby dwarf tears, and some hygro-angustifolia (like mini hygro in appearance). There is some driftwood and some nice rocks, all of which fit the tank theme of a brighter, shallow water enviorment.

And those are all of my fish tanks. I really enjoy them and hope that you found some enjoyment from my wall of text yourselves. I'll get pictures, as I said at the beginning, when/if I can. Any suggestions on how to better care for the gem badis and any comments on the tanks are welcome :D

~Travis

PS: I'm sorry for the wall of text lol. I can't think of a way to make it more bearable though.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I don't have a single picture of my tanks on my current computer :( I can add coming soon pics maybe.

Or perhaps a mod could break it up into smaller posts?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, for those who wan raw information:

75 Gallon:
Stocking:
12X Neon Tetra (black an red/blue)
7X Glass Catfish
6X Neon Rainbowfish
6X Assorted Cory
4X Serpea Tetra
2X Otto
1X Thomasi Pleco
1X Golden Dream Killi (female)
1X Male betta
1X Male Molly
1X Male Guppy
Equipment:
2X Eheim Canister
2X HOB
1X T5 Light
3X Heater
Plants:
2X Hygro
2X Java Fern
Java Moss
1X Anubias Nano
1X Anubas Whatever
Water Lettuce
Milkweed
Inverts:
2+X Assassin Snail
?X Pest Snails
3-4X Nerite Snail

40 Gallon:
Stock:
50X Guppy
3X Mosquito Fish
1X Female Molly
Equipment:
1X T5 Light
1X Minicanister
1X Powerhead
Plants:
Water Lettuce
Duckweed
Random Others

20 Gallon:
Stock:
4X Corry
2X Scarlet Gem Badis
1X Sparkling Gouramis
Equipment:
1X T8 Light
1X Heater
1X Minicanister
Plants:
1X Hygro
1X Anubias Nano
1X Ludwiga
1X baby Dwarf Tears
1X Mini-sword

5.5 Gallon(2)
Stock:
?X Mini-inverts
Equipment:
1X Incandescent Light
Plants:
Waterlettuce
Java Moss
Random Other

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
It was a good read! had to use the mouse to highlight so i could keep my place, but it was well worth it :D

That 75 seems like pure awesome crazy random funness. the thing that I'm wondering about is the driftwood. I had tried having some driftwood partially emerged, and it got fungus above the water, so i just cleaned it and submerged it. are you doing anything to prevent fungus? or is it just working out on it's own? could it have anything to do with being salty as it's from the ocean?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
It was a good read! had to use the mouse to highlight so i could keep my place, but it was well worth it :D

That 75 seems like pure awesome crazy random funness. the thing that I'm wondering about is the driftwood. I had tried having some driftwood partially emerged, and it got fungus above the water, so i just cleaned it and submerged it. are you doing anything to prevent fungus? or is it just working out on it's own? could it have anything to do with being salty as it's from the ocean?
My prediction is that the fungi finds it hard to grow because the light is within 2in of the driftwood. It gets direct T5 HO lighting for 11 hours a day. That's gotta be harsh on fungi. It could be the salt, but so far there is another bit of driftwood with a tiny portion of it sticking above the water, it doesn't have fungi either. As of yet, I have never done anything to prevent fungus, and it isn't growing, so I'm not going to complain and end up jinxing it :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store