Where to buy replacement RO/DI filter cartridges?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Whats up guys. Hope everyone's tank is doing well!

It's time for me to change out my filter cartridges on my RO/DI system. Im using this one here from Coral Life.

http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-05692-Pure-Flo-50-Gallon-System/dp/B0006JKO9W

In hindsight, I realize I made a mistake by not going with one of the BRS systems...but that's a different issue. I was wondering if these cartridges are pretty standard for RO/DI units...In other words, do I have to go with the coral life brand cartridges or are there are other cartridges out there that will work with the coral life unit I have.

If I do have to go with the coral life brand, any recommendations for the cheapest place to buy them? So far I'm looking at about 75 bucks from Dr Foster and Smith. Gonna hit up ebay, amazon, brs, etc. as well.

I still have about 6 months before I have to replace the membrane which for this unit is about 100 bucks...

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Looks like standard canisters in the amazon pic so the sediment and carbon block filters from BRS would work. How is the DI stage setup on it refillable cartridge? BRS guys are very knowledgeable you could email them and confirm the stuff will fit a coralife unit.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Fortunately most RO DI parts are identical. Quality of plastic and connectors can vary a lot though.
BRS is great. I pick up some of my spares particulate and carbon modules on clearance at the big box retailers. They change vendors every couple of years and clearance price the old ones.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You can put any standard membrane in the Coralife housing, so when it's membrane time you can upgrade your capacity for very little extra money. You just need to pop a couple of bucks for the matching restrictor on the waste water line. The other cartridges are standard as well.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Looks like standard canisters in the amazon pic so the sediment and carbon block filters from BRS would work. How is the DI stage setup on it refillable cartridge? BRS guys are very knowledgeable you could email them and confirm the stuff will fit a coralife unit.
Excellent idea, will give them a call to confirm

You can put any standard membrane in the Coralife housing, so when it's membrane time you can upgrade your capacity for very little extra money. You just need to pop a couple of bucks for the matching restrictor on the waste water line. The other cartridges are standard as well.
When you say the matching restrictor on the waste line, do you mean something on the inside of the membrane housing that connects to the actual membrane and the waste line or are you talking about the piece that sits on the outside of of the housing that connects the membrane to the waste line?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The restrictor is plumbed into the hosing near the membrane housing, if you have a flush kit it sits right below the valve on it, its a small 3"ish plastic cylinder that may say Flow ------> and have numbers on it.

Its not something you need to change with the filters, just if you want to upgrade to a 75 or 100gpd membrane the restrictor has to also be replaced. $40-50 for membrane, $5ish for the restrictor.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
The restrictor is plumbed into the hosing near the membrane housing, if you have a flush kit it sits right below the valve on it, its a small 3"ish plastic cylinder that may say Flow ------> and have numbers on it.

Its not something you need to change with the filters, just if you want to upgrade to a 75 or 100gpd membrane the restrictor has to also be replaced. $40-50 for membrane, $5ish for the restrictor.

Ahh gotcha! thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store