Unknown Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marmillian

Registered Member
Sep 20, 2012
Toronto, ON Canada
Real Name
Jerry
Hello one and all. I am a newbie to aquaria but am doing as much research as possible. My 55 gal is a week old and i have been monitoring levels every day.
An algae that I cannot identify has been propagating on my Mapani driftwood but only on the lighter surfaces. The algae has also began on a food wafer as well as on a algae wafer. I feed very slightly every day crushed flake for my two hatchetfish.
SAM_0596.JPGSAM_0595.JPGSAM_0597.JPGSAM_0598.JPGSAM_0596.JPGSAM_0595.JPGSAM_0597.JPGSAM_0598.JPG

SAM_0595.JPG SAM_0596.JPG SAM_0597.JPG SAM_0598.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC! Looks normal to me for a new tank...try starting a thread in the forums where more folks will view it.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Lots of driftwood will develop a nasty snot like white fuzz when it's newly introduced to a tank. It can last anywhere from a few days to several months. It's not harmful, and it will pass over time. Manually removing it doesn't seem to do much, as it comes right back. Just let it run it's course.

On the wafer, it's perfectly normal too. If you leave food in the tank for too long, it develops fuzz. I liken it to how leaving normal food out in the open air over time, causes it to develop mold. It's always best to remove any uneaten food from the tank, so that it doesn't increase your ammonia level.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store