Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    ramey
    Last Activity
    05-02-2013 8:32 PM

jungle val not doing well...

I have a 25 gal with two 14w NO T5. All plants except the jungle vals are doing well. I have anubias, mayaca, amazon swords, windolev fern, java fern and anacharis... Jungle val has been there for nearly 3 months.. No new growth at all. Just old leaves some which have been yellowing and I have trimmed them... Lately, some leaves have some black outline on them. I rarely dose Excel and even when I do it's low dose... Any ideas? I am thinking of taking them out and leave them in a glass jar near a sunny window. Then after couple of weeks, float them in the tank.. If they recoup, then I shall plant them... Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 8:47 PM
    Have you tested your water for nitrates, KH & GH? Jungle val is fast growing, like a bit of hardness & ferts. Excel is not a fert, more a CO2 substitute & algicide. Root tabs might help & your light is kinda low wattage for medium light plants. My Jungle val gets about twice a much light & grows like a weed without adding ferts.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Kris
    Last Activity
    10-07-2012 2:21 AM
    obviously fertilizing is important. Jungle val isn't too demanding, so something is missing. Are you fertilizing at all? what kind of substrate is in the tank? I wouldn't use excel with the val or the anacharis in the tank. If anything add a little do it yourself co2 to the tank. For a 25 gallon tank, I would use a big 3 liter jug or so, you can buy shasta at walmart in 3 liter jugs, then just use the sugar/yeast/baking soda recipe, airline into a powerhead or something. It will help, any co2 helps. The excel is good, but not a good idea with certain plants, like vals and anacharis.
    Our ship of fools, all boards handmade
    Sinks, dashed by seismic waves....

Dani Davey.
    http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/danidaveyfan/

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-12-2013 11:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g0p View Post
    I have a 25 gal with two 14w NO T5. All plants except the jungle vals are doing well. I have anubias, mayaca, amazon swords, windolev fern, java fern and anacharis... Jungle val has been there for nearly 3 months.. No new growth at all. Just old leaves some which have been yellowing and I have trimmed them... Lately, some leaves have some black outline on them. I rarely dose Excel and even when I do it's low dose... Any ideas? I am thinking of taking them out and leave them in a glass jar near a sunny window. Then after couple of weeks, float them in the tank.. If they recoup, then I shall plant them... Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks.
    I know this may sound crazy but.. are you sure what you have are actually jungle vals? I only say this because I purchased some 'vals' from Petsmart and it turned out to be Mondo Grass which will decay and rot when submersed.

I went back to Petsmart not too long ago and the tank labeled "Vallisneria" is now labeled "Mondo Grass".

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!! tanker's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Last Activity
    Today 2:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I know this may sound crazy but.. are you sure what you have are actually jungle vals? I only say this because I purchased some 'vals' from Petsmart and it turned out to be Mondo Grass which will decay and rot when submersed.

I went back to Petsmart not too long ago and the tank labeled "Vallisneria" is now labeled "Mondo Grass".
    Good Point. Also vals, are not root feeders, they will do fine in plain sand. They feed mostly from the water===so are you adding ferts (assuming you really have vals).
    100gal tank --15 Cardinals, 12 Neons, 6 Diamond Tetras, 14 Black Phantoms , 4 Angels, 8 corys (Robinea), and 2 Bushy-noses.

120 gal tank--13 Snakeskin barbs, 12 Brass Tetras, 20 Rosy Tetras, 12 Calico Tetras, 1 Pearl Gouramis , 2 Festivums, 8 corys (Axlerodi), and 2 BN plecos.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    ramey
    Last Activity
    05-02-2013 8:32 PM
    Thanks for your thoughts, all. Sorry for the delayed response. I forgot to add some more details... Yes I have used root tabs. Also, recently I added Osmocote in gel caps as it's been a while since I put in root tabs. I also dose (just once a week) seachem Flourish Comprehensive... I have gravel mixed Caribsea Floramax and some EcoComplete... My lights are on for 10 hrs.... The GH numbers are ~150 ppm. The actual KH values: 40-80 ppm. pH 6.5-7.0. I also have water Wisteria, which has come back strong from almost being dead. The wisteria was almost a goner because I removed it from the tank for a while to put Flormax and Ecocomplete as I had only gravel before... I use Excel at very low dose - once a week and 2 mL. And it's 25 gal tank...... I may be wrong, but I don't think it's due to Excel.....
    I bought this plant from a LFS not from petsmart/petco. So I assume it's actually jungle val (Vallisneria americana). Admittedly, the leaves look like that of mondo grass, but somewhat wider....

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Roy
    Last Activity
    Today 9:12 PM
    Could be a Sag of some type. Any pics?

https://www.google.com/search?q=sagi...w=1024&bih=590

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-12-2013 11:25 PM
    Honestly I don't what is up with Vals.. everyone says they are easy to keep though I am pretty sure Petsmart sold me Mondo Grass labeled as Vals my friend had some actual Vals in his tank and they too melted away.. something triggers them to suddenly die apparently and I do not know what it could be. : (

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!! tanker's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Last Activity
    Today 2:02 PM
    IMO---Both Sag and Val are too easy to grow. I have both and I MUST thin every week. I have given to friends and LFS, but I must still throw lots away.

From experience---Excel does melt them--at regular dose, but may work with lower doses.
    100gal tank --15 Cardinals, 12 Neons, 6 Diamond Tetras, 14 Black Phantoms , 4 Angels, 8 corys (Robinea), and 2 Bushy-noses.

120 gal tank--13 Snakeskin barbs, 12 Brass Tetras, 20 Rosy Tetras, 12 Calico Tetras, 1 Pearl Gouramis , 2 Festivums, 8 corys (Axlerodi), and 2 BN plecos.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Yesterday 8:47 PM
    What's the KH of the tank just before a water change? Mine used to drop from 40-60ppm to 0 each week from the plant growth. Made the pH unstable too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information