Eeep, wife bought betta for daughter. I have 0 knowledge.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Just yesterday, a small betta, now known as BabyB (BB), appeared in a 1 gallon bowl on my table. I am a saltwater/reef guy and have been for the past 7 years, so my general knowledge is good enough to keep it alive. What I'm looking for is advise on how to make this baby thrive.

Oh, I'm saying baby because it's so small. Even smaller than the ones I normally see in the cups at the LFS. About 1" from tailfin to mouth, and does not have dark coloring yet. Currently light pink, and you can see the organs inside.

I've been searching (google) writeups on betta care, and there's quite a few different information. So I want to ask the experts here instead (wish we had a how to sticky in here).

What is the minimum bowl size requirement that will keep this BB happy? I myself am not too happy about having BB taking up my space, but my daughter LOVES it and I will suck it up for my baby girl.

I can do water changes easily everyday, so would I need a filter?
And without a filter, is there a cleanup creature, such as a shrimp or fish or snail, that you recommend to house in there to pick up the leftovers?

Do bettas jump? Should I cover the bowl?

Lights required? Currently set up in a room that gets lots of sunlight, so very bright.

There's some bamboo that was thrown in the bowl.

I'm currently going through the other threads to learn more, so sorry if I ask repeat questions. I would be greatful of any other info you deem important.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Just read on another thread about not using RO water, so I'm going to begin a slow tap water change with declor water.

Also curious about stress lines indicated in the other thread. Please respond here or there, I will read it =)

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
One big mistake I learned here is not using a heater. I have my girl in a 2.5g, with a filter and heater. Some have told me 5g should be the smallest though.

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Starting to love BB. She's reminding me of my tomato clown I had a few years ago. She was just "sitting" when I came into the room. Once she noticed me, she was swimming towards me, and followed me around the room. Gives me the impression of a wet dog.

Going to have to hit the store later. What temp should it be set at?

khmerspec

WanaBAhReefer
May 17, 2008
Sacramento, Ca
www.5linx.net
Real Name
Van
Not sure if you could tell from pictures, but her colors have definately gotten darker since day 1.

DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0025.JPG

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Starting to love BB. She's reminding me of my tomato clown I had a few years ago. She was just "sitting" when I came into the room. Once she noticed me, she was swimming towards me, and followed me around the room. Gives me the impression of a wet dog.

Going to have to hit the store later. What temp should it be set at?
78-80, I would suggest 2.5 gallon minimum, 5 would be best with filter. RO is a not good since its had all the minerals stripped unless you use seachem equilibrium or kent RO Right. And yes they can be jumpers.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
78-80 degrees. The hotter the temperature, the faster your betta will age. The colder the temp, the more sluggish the betta will be. I would keep tap water in like 2 or 3 2 liter bottles of water with prime in it or not. The prime can be added to the water once its poured into the tank during a water change. But yes, a filter and a heater are important and a 5 gallon tank is a good size. Betta are very easy to care for and not demanding like most fish.

ColleenT

AC Members
Sep 23, 2012
Lehigh Valley Pa
Real Name
Colleen Troiani
YES they can jump out. i have used tin foil in an emergency. i have seen a lot of baby bettas at petco lately. mini heaters and lights are great. they can also become constipated and i think my male beta just died from this. you can look it up online and see how to care for that. good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store