Uneven Older Tank Setup Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MustangMelissa

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Hello everybody! I've been doing a lot of searching around on google and haven't been able to find an answer for my type of situation. First, let me give ya'll a bit of a background as I am a new member here:

I have a 125wide glass tank from Glasscages.com (72 x 24 x 17). This tank has been set up since around 2004. It was purchased brand new and set up by my ex. He made a DIY cinder block stand that is very stable made of 3 columns in the front of the tank and 3 in the back topped with 2 x 11's running the length of the tank so that the bottom is almost completely supported by the wood except for a 2" strip in the middle (in short, a heck of a lot of 50lb cinder blocks! I actually counted - there's 18). The tank is on a hardwood floor. The location is over the house's main beam (it looks like a railroad tie running down the center of the house in the basement). The other beams are running perpendicular to the main beam and are spaced about 1.5' apart so there's a bunch that run under the tank. To further add to reinforcement, he added a support joist that is rated for over 4,000lbs onto that main beam. Anyways, we broke up in 2006 and he left the tank behind. I kept it running because I figured it was easier to keep it set up than deal with all those cinder blocks (plus I do like fish). Now here comes my conundrum - the tank is uneven side to side by about 1" and front to back by about 1/4". This is not caused by the stand - it's caused by a 100 year old house and hardwood floor. The floor is solid - no movement or noise whatsoever when you walk near the tank...I would feel comfortable doing jumping jacks next to it. The uneven-ness has been that way for as long as I can remember. There is no foam under the tank and it has a built-in glass center support at the top. I don't quite know what to do with the uneven problem or even IF I should do anything. Some of what I've been reading has said that fiddling with older tanks can be more of an issue than just leaving it alone. This tank has never been moved.

In case anybody is wondering, the tank is currently stocked with your average community-type fish (Severums, Balas, etc) but in the past I have had experience keeping Arowanas and Freshwater Stingrays. After I lost the breeding pair of Leopoldi Stingrays that I had when my ex left (my city water quality took a dive without notification and we got an "oops we're sorry" letter in the mail a year later) I lost all interest in caring for expensive fish.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on what to do with the tank or just let it go as is! Thank you! :D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Some pics of the set up would be nice. I wouldn't worry too much about the 1/4" but the 1" on length does bother me a bit. Just so you know, though probably moot, Glasscages requires foam under their tanks for warranty issues. I would say if you are that sure of the house structure being that firm to let it ride. However, if you have a need to re-scape soon, I would shim the stand to get things level. I take it that the "2x11's" are laying flat instead of on the 2" side like a joist?

MustangMelissa

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
You got it - the 2 x 11's are laying flat so they almost cover the whole bottom. I read that about Glasscages and the foam. Unfortunately, I really had no part in the setup process of the tank...he just left and that 1" lean has been like that for as long as I can remember (because I have to keep it full all the time so I don't see it!).

Sorry for the bad pictures! I had to lift her skirt, lol and my tv was in the way for the side shot. At least you can see how the 2 x 11's are arranged. Like I said, it's been that way for 8ish years, maybe more. I can't really remember when we bought it - only that we picked it up in NJ during a blizzard so it's possible it was 2003. I do feel confident about the structural integrity of the house. I can take pics of the basement under the tank if you'd like, but short of putting the tank on solid concrete, I'd say this floor is the next best thing.
stand1.jpgstand2.jpg

stand1.jpg stand2.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Thanks! I'd say let it go for now. If you do decide to correct it, use some full length shims between your floor and the bottom cinder blocks.

MustangMelissa

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Thank you for the info! It would be very difficult at this point to break down the tank to shim it. As I'm sure you guys know, that tank is very heavy, not to mention the 100+lbs of sand and decor that is in it! I had another Glasscages 125wide that I sold about 5 years ago and I remember needing like 3 guys to move it (I'm pretty useless in that department lol). Each of those cinder blocks weighs 50ish lb. Now you can see why I've just kept it running rather than dismantle it!

I've attached a picture of what the tank is sitting directly over - ewww cobwebs!basement1.jpg

basement1.jpg

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have two of their 135 six footers...all Euro braced...a pain to move but awesome tanks.

MustangMelissa

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Thank you. If I do decide to try and shim it at some point, would I need to shim the cinder block columns in the center as well as the side that needs that lift? I'm afraid that it would put more weight onto the "shimmed" blocks/section of board rather than distributing it. Right now the bottom edge of the tank is sitting perfectly flat against the boards, which are in turn sitting perfectly flat against the top cinder blocks. I hope that makes sense lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store