Gravel Question - what to use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but been keeping fish for over a year now. I'm going to be upgrading tanks soon - here's what I've currently got:

30G (goldfish) with multicolored blue gravel from Petco
14G (tropical community) with "chocolate" colored gravel from Petco

Going to be getting a 55G from a friend and moving my 3 goldies into that, and moving the community tank to the old 30G tank. I will be converting the 14G into a planted tank. Eventually I would like the tropical tank to be planted as well, and I will probably end up trying to keep some duckweed or anacharis with the goldies for them to munch on.

I'd like to spend as little as possible getting substrate for the new tank. I feel like I have a few options:

Option 1: Buy all new substrate for the 55, keep everything else the way it is. I'm sure I could find something inexpensive but I'm not sure what. Other problem is I like the way the fish in my community tank look against the darker substrate. I feel like the goodies stand out just fine against the blue.

Option 2: Keep the same gravel along with the same fish and buy more to fill in their new tanks. This would allow me to maintain status quo and get some good substrate for the planted tank but is probably going to cost me more.

Option 3?: I kinda want to have a more natural look in all my tanks and wouldn't mind completely eliminating the blue gravel for something better, but I want to keep plants and I don't know what would be a good price. Option 3, then, is whatever you guys recommend!

Some have recommended pool filter sand and while I like the natural look, I am not sure sand or something like it will be a good enough substrate for plants.. thoughts?

I've got a few weeks to figure out what I want to do but I'm at a loss for how exactly I want to do this. Your input is very welcome!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Me, I like Goldfish in "Strange" tanks, because the are not natural fish. ==Colored gravel, castles, ect. So keep the gravel, but add more.

The other tanks, if you want plants, ==the pool filter sand will be fine----it is cheap, but lighter in color.

If you want a darker color, try a quarry or building supplies (Home Depot, ect), They have darker, natural gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store