Water change trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtye91

AC Members
Jul 28, 2012
So today I did a 40% water change and everything was fine and dandy, I came back maybe half an hour later and now it looks like someone dumped a cup of sugar or salt into the tank, and my kids aren't old enough to do something like that yet haha.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1348948695.563458.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1348948704.581535.jpg

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Obvious questions- the bucket was clean right? It's not just sand that got kicked up and settled back down onto
The rocks?

dtye91

AC Members
Jul 28, 2012
Yes the bucket was clean I keep in the house upside down and always wash it out before I use it and after I use it. I don't think it is sand, it's starting to dissolve whatever it is, none of my fish died or are acting weird, they got their color back and everything.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Have you checked your water parameters? Whatever is dissolving into the water could be making changes to your water chemistry that you may not see signs of until it's too late.

Salt, sugar, and other white powders don't spontaneously come into existence in dry form, in the middle of bodies of water over the course of 30 minutes like that. Something must have been in your bucket, or was added after the water change. I'd do whatever I could to figure out what it was and how it happened, to prevent it from happening again in the future.

dtye91

AC Members
Jul 28, 2012
I've been checking it every 5 hours or so and everything is normal! There's no way it was already in the bucket, it didn't show up until I was done, I always wash out the bucket too before adding water. Whatever it was is gone now and everything is normal and no dead fish, so must not have been anything too bad.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store