Need help with a complete re-design of a 75g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
So the time has come once again for me to completely re-design my tank. I seem to do this every 3-4 years. Last time I tried a planted tank and it didn't go so well for me. This time I'm aiming for just a community tank that looks nice. I'm thinking angels as a centerpiece fish, some cories and s. nigrofaciatus in there and some cherry barbs as well to add some color. The gravel will be black. That's about all I know and I've got several questions for the experts here.

1. Has anyone used a 3D background before? Good or bad? I'm wary about having a background in the tank as I've had experience with fish getting stuck back there, but they do look very nice. I'm also worried that I might have problems getting the intake/outtake of my canister filter over the background.

2. Can anyone suggest some live plants that might work without co2 diffusion? I've got a 110w cf on this tank. It's a standard 48 x 20 tank. Currently all that's growing in it is some sort of java sword (I think) and some brush algae I can't get rid of as I have too many nutrients buried in the fine gravel I'm using that I can't get cleaned out. It's the main reason I'm re-doing the whole thing. I'm leaning towards taller plants as I think the angels will look best. I'd prefer real instead of fake if possible. I'm willing to buy a few plants and wait a few months for them to grow, spawn and fill out the tank.

3. From my stocking scheme, how many of each fish would you recommend I stock?

4. As far as stocking, I plan on doing the cherry barbs first, then the cories, then the upside down cats and the angels last. Does this sound like a good plan?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store