Have a question on Daphnia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

weijunwang

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2012
I just bought some black dry Daphnia eggs in E-Bay 4 days ago and 5 hatched this morning. The seller says just give some dry yeast as food. From what I read, green water makes Daphnia healthy. I place a bucket of dirty fish tank water outside in my yard for several days and got a film of green algae on the top of water surface. When I scoop the green film out, the water is yellowish and cloudy but not green. I think I do not have the right kind of algae. Because the film of algae will block the oxygen in the air into the water. How do you culture your green water? does the algae stay inside water or floating on the surface?

What is the feature of Daphnia Monia? I read it is more hardy in terms of temperature fluctuation tolerance than Magna. Do you need use air bubble to raise Daphnia?

Thanks.

Thanks.

BallAquatics

Fish Breeder
Oct 9, 2010
Central Ohio, USA
www.ballaquatics.com
Real Name
Dennis Ball
I add some dry grass clippings to my green water cultures to get them going. Just a very slow bubble from the end of the air hose is all I use - NO airstone or fine bubbles.

I raise more Moina than Daphnia mainly because I have more small fish. Also, new born Moina are smaller than baby brine shrimp and can be fed to tiny fry sooner.

Dennis

weijunwang

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2012
Good morning Dennis,

Thanks for the fast reply. when you say you add dry grass clipping to your green water culture, do you need green water starting culture to do that or just add grass clipping to plain old fish tank water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store