Help me stock a 75 (ish) gallon tank please!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1redbird1

Registered Member
Sep 29, 2012
Hey everyone.

So after a hiatus in fish keeping for nearly a year, I've decided to wade back into the depths (excuse the lame, albeit witty pun).

I have saved up enough money to fund buying a large tank and all the expensive stuff I've always dreamed of and parents refused to buy.

The tank I'm looking at buying is an 'Aqua Reef 300' from the brand Aqua One, complete with 300 litre capacity, sump and general all-round awesomeness.

Before I get too much further I should add that I'm completely aware that this is a marine tank, and I have clearly said in the title that this is going to be a freshwater setup. However, I plan on removing the protein skimmer and I want a tank where I can't see hoses, cords or heaters in order for the aquarium to look as natural as possible - and because this model has a sump in the cabinet underneath I can accomplish this vision.

So after that potentially unneeded novel I could probably have replaced with only '300 litre tank'; lets get to the main issue I am having, why I need all the amazing wisdom and knowledge I am sure this site can provide me.

What should I stock my tank with?????

Originally I was planning on a African River Biotope (very general I know) with a Leopard Bushfish (Ctenopoma acutirostre), a group of Congo tetras and a pair ofKribensis. However after some research online, I found that the Congo tetras have a nasty (and dream breaking) habit of nibbling and destroying plants (of which I had planned to have many). This leaves me without a group of colourful, hard-to-prey-on, peaceful, easy-to-obtain fish from Africa.

So now I'm thinking of breaking the self-imposed biotope rule, and including fish from elsewhere in the world, to create what I calling 'Aquatic utopia meets my living room.'

In all seriousness the one fish I really do want in there is the Ctenopoma, so any fish I include in this tank have to be able to big enough to stop them both disappearing in the night and simultaneously causing my Ctenopoma to get fat. That or they need to be able to see the Ctenopoma sneaking up and tell it where it can stick its lunch plans.

At this stage I'm thinking:

1 Ctenopoma acutirostre
1 pair of Kribensis
4 (ish) Keyhole Cichlids
3 Pearl Gouramis (2 female, 1 male) <--- This one I'm not sure about - will they and the Ctenopoma get along? Or will their inclusion ignite an aquatic war that can only be ended by death and destruction?

I'm going for a very driftwood-y, low-light stream look; so plants will include java ferns, moss, anubias, vallisneria, tiger lotus and a couple of floating plants that I've yet to thin of.

Some of the more astute of you will have noted that I still haven't included a group of colourful, hard-to-prey-on, peaceful, easy-to-obtain fish that caused the need for expert and experienced opinion that led me here to you.

I need some colourful fish that won't be pounced on by the Ctenopoma and provide that initial 'wow' factor when someone sees the aquarium, and because a biotope is no longer a constraint - they can be from anywhere!!

So if you have been able to make your way through this long, wordy, and (in hindsight) ridiculous post, please give me suggestions for any fish or plants to add or remove, offer compliments, give critique, or offer compliments.

Thanks a bunch to all those that reply at all, those that read this and admire the witty wordplay, those that decide I'm a fool for proposing a marine tank for freshwater and decide not to reply, and especially those that reply with stunning insight and incredible advice.

I feel as though I should add that once the stocking list is set; then it will be game on and I will either turn this into a journal of my triumphs and (hopefully not) failures with this project - complete with photos that shall document my venture.

Thanks again and please help me out.

1redbird1

Nyrrangers

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
Ctenopoma acutirostre are very beautiful fish. i have 1 in my 125 gallon setup. The kribensis will be very aggressive while breeding (which is often). IME Keyholes are pretty peaceful.

Right now you have somewhat peaceful fish with an extremely aggressive Ctenopoma acutirostre. I'm not sure the other fish would be able to defend themselves. Ditch the Leopard idea or find some new fish to keep with it.

Nyrrangers

AC Members
Sep 9, 2012
My leopard just flips a switch from timid to aggressive very quickly. I had to remove my jack Dempsey because my Ctenopoma was about to kill it. Smaller fish shouldn't be able to fit in their mouth and larger fish need to leave it alone and occasionally defend themselves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store