simple tank stand but is it reasonable? looking for opinions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smertrios

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
I drew this using GIMP... Shows what would be the front and back frame for a triple 55 gallon tank stand using 2x4s. The black boards show the supports. The green boards get nailed ontop of the edges to hold the boards in place. Thing is the tank(s) would mostly be supported by the corners if done this way.

TankStand.jpg

TankStand.jpg

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Seems rickety in my eyes. The stand I built for my breeding rack has 2 x 4 legs and 2 x 3s lapped into those legs. You don't need 2 x 4's for the horizontal members and the only reason I used them on the legs is so I had some meat where I cut for the cross pieces. I don't have a shot of mine but here's one from another forum I am on. His racks are very well constructed. The lap joints are nice and tight.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176148&page=4

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
doesnt seem like it would be stable for that much weight.

Smertrios

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
GraphicGr8s - After seeing that fishroom that is how I would do the stands.

I was reading on another forum that someone is using 2x4 construction to hold 3 tanks upto 100 gallons and 2 tanks over 100 gallons. It was an old post and the poster has not been active on those forums for a long time.
ref: http://www.frontosa.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4924

This is probably obvious but if the tank stand spans more than 1 column of tanks then some of the 2x4s are going to have 2x the weight of the outside legs. Just in water weight that means some of the 2x4s of a triple 100 gallon tank stand will have over 1250 pounds on them.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
I will say outright up until a couple of months ago I had never built a fish tank stand. I hate, abhor, dislike and over all cany stand the wood stands.They do make decent fires though. I also need to say I have been building cabinets, shelving systems, libraries and buildings for many years. I built my fish room although its original use was a pressroom. As in offset printing. So I do know a little bit about carpentry both fine and construction grade.
First off the stiles (vertical pieces aka legs) should always be one continuous piece.
Racks should be lapped into the legs.
Glue should always be used. If it needs to be taken apart figure out how much can be glued and glue it. Screw the rest together.
Never use drywall screws. Although I like old school wood screws there are modern versions I would consider.
Never use drywall screws.
Looking at the stand from the front you should never, ever see end or side grain. Always and only face grain.
You should never see screw heads. Ever. Most of the cabinets I've built actually have no metal fasteners at all. It's all the glue and proper joinery holding up all the weight.

These aren't just my rules. They are pretty common in woodworking. There is a right way to do things. Make it right the first time then you won't have to do it again.

Sometimes I am my own worst enemy though. I enclosed a carport and built a bay window for the room along with an in wall 90 gallon. (I did build a stand for this one but it was hidden in the closet.) Neighbor came over to "inspect" and couldn't believe the work. Told me I was going too far overboard with it. No one tapes, primes and paint the drywall before putting panelling on. Yeah well I did. I redid the cabinets in that kitchen. Next door neighor starts going through by firewood pile and couldn't understand why 4 doors were in the pile. Simple I said. Can't you see the tip of the biscuit here? Told me I was too much of a perfectionist and to never ask him to build anything for me.

The library I am finishing up for myself has one section that is 54" wide. The grain for the back has to, absolutely must run vertical. Go figure what I needed to do. (I've got a lot of extra plywood left because of the grain direction)

Last edited:

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
:bowing::nilly:

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
:wall:

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Just a thought here. I've got a metal stand with a 45 on the bottom and a 55 on top. I put a 45 on bottom because a 55 would be next to impossible to work on in that position. The 45 is enough trouble. The top of the 55 sits right at 5' or so. A third tank would be trouble for me to reach in and work on and I'm 6'1" Sure you could use a step ladder. I'm just not comfortable working in a tank on a step ladder.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store