African Butterfly in a Shelly(Multies) Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Concy

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
Has anyone tried a tank with an African Butterfly or 2(Probably 1) along with some Multies? From what I am reading Butterflies stay in the top few inches of a tank, and multies stay on the bottom few inches. If I have a nice Pleco(Suggestions on what would be best please) I would imagine it could be a fairly beautiful oddball tank.

I was thinking some nice black sand substrate would be good, but I am not sure what kind of base Multies like, other than decent sized shells.

What do you guys think?

Keep it Concentrated.

P.S. This is likely going to be a 30g tank, unless I decide I need to use one of my larger ones.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If the Butterfly is big enough it could eat the Multis as you put them in. Once they're settled in on the bottom it shouldn't be a problem.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Yikes...ever kept multis? Sure the butterfly could eat a few, but multis attack in waves...they're ounce per ounce the meanest fish I've ever owned. Plus, multis need hard water and butterfly fish prefer softer water - a clearly poor match.

I've kept both fish, but would never, ever keep them together.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store