New member need help with new tank set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
Hi, everyone in the aquariacentral community i am happy to be apart of this blog. I am currently setting up a 60 gallon fresh water tank setup with a 20 gallon sump. I am cycling water and doing test every day before buying fish. I know to start slow and buy a few fish at a time. I have a few questions about my tank. I have a eheim pump that does 317 gph and thats not enough with my head room to do enough turnover per hour. I am purchasing a power head to solve this problem to make this a ideal tank for what i want. My question is i am looking to purchase african cichlids and i am wondering if the would be able to survive and thrive in lower ph then whats "ideal." I want to mix some african's with clown loaches and a pleco, I am also interested in setting up a guppy refugium in my sump. Can i make this happen with ph levels and the needs of africans and clown loaches and plecos? To be more specific i want i trinidad but i know there size is overstocking my tank so ill find another cool species any ideas on how i should set this tank up?

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
The clown loaches and likely the pleco (depending on sp.) will outgrow that 60g tank, just be aware, and be prepared to deal with it when the time comes.

It's more important that the pH be stable, than be "ideal". I'd personally try to keep it over 7.0, but it certainly doesn't need to be 8.2+ as is recommended for many Africans.

crazy4cichlid21

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
New jersey
Real Name
Zach
I am thinking of a pleco that's smaller.like 6" Max size but I love the look and personaility of clown loaches is there anyway I can make clown loaches work in this tank?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store