Fry tank size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Msheresy

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
I recently acquired 9 bgjd and 4 albino bnp. The bgjd are about 3/4"-1" in size and the bnp are 1"-1.5" in size. All tiny little babies.

i need to do some moving around but I am wondering if I can put the bgjd in a 10 gallon and if so, up to what size before they need a larger grow out? I'm trying to do some condensing because I know I will be moving soon so I'm not really able to set up another larger tank.

Can I put the bnp in with them? Or can they stay go in a 20l with a 3" JD? My third option for the bnp would be a 29 gal that has 1 4" common pleco and 2 2.5" ebjd.

I have 3 more tanks that are empty but if I set another up, I would be in trouble. My lovely spouse does not have the love for fish as I do, plus with the impending move, it's really not practical.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I am getting some bgjd's and ebjd's also, and was told by the breeder they need a smaller tank so they can find the food easier. 10 gal. is what I am starting out with, one for the bg's, and one for the eb's until they outgrow it. not sure how long that will take, am just gonna play it by ear, but those smaller tanks will make cleaning much easier also.

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
The 10g will work until you move for raising all the fry together. After you move I'd move them to a bigger tank, like 20-30g. Just keep up on your water changes and there should be nothing to worry about

Msheresy

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
Can I keep the bnp with the bgjd in the 10 gal or would they be better with the 3" JD in the 20gL?

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I certainly hope so as I am overrun with baby bn's, and will def. be keeping them together because of lack of room.

Msheresy

AC Members
Sep 30, 2012
We sound a lot alike! Perhaps in the future we can swap ebjd/bgjd or bnp to expand potential breeding projects!

i have decided to move the bgjd to a 10 gallon and I'm thinking about putting the 4 abnp in with the ebjd and the common pleco. Another forum suggested I just set up another 10g but I really don't want to hear hubs crap when he sees another tank before our move! I'm very proactive with water changes and I use a master test kit so I think I can keep the bioloads down for a few months.

thanks for all the suggestions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store