Need Thoughts on Sump Design/Plumbing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
Basically trying to filter/heat a 10g and multiple 2.5gs at the same time. Already went over the pros and cons of connecting the tanks and have decided that this will keep maintenance (mainly frequent water changes) more efficient and less messy. The tanks will use pvc overflows that are connected from one tank to the others and back into the sump. As you can see, I decided to design the piping as a somewhat closed loop system.

Green is plumbing from the pump to the tanks

Orange is the plumbing for the overflows and return plumbing

Blue is a ball valve

Purple is a check valve

Will be adding numerous pvc unions throughout the plumbing

I didn't depict it in the picture, but there will be holes in the pipe above the tanks for water to flow into the tanks.
sump.jpg

Note: the overflow pvc design in the picture is just a simplified drawing and not the actual design I'll be using.

sump.jpg

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Lose your "sort of a closed loop" idea, and simply terminate your return plumbing in the tanks themselves, with an individual valve for each tank to control flow. Fyi when discussing plumbing, anything from the pump to the tanks are properly designated as returns, anything from the tanks to the pump is supply.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Is your return line connected to your drain line? It looks that way from the picture. I would avoid doing this. You will be pressurizing your drain lines and could actually force the water back up the drains and back into the tanks essentially reversing the water flow.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Since your tanks are so small an airline can be tapped into the return pipe and water run through it into each tank. Use an airline control valve (the good brass or stainless steel ones not a plastic one) to control the water flow. Run the airline down into the tank and secure it to the side with a clamp so it doesn't fall out.

You should connect your drains into one trunk line to simplify plumbing. Like the top diagram in your second post.

Still not sure why you have two inlets for the pump from the filter? Only one is necessary.

Andy

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
for such small tanks i wouldnt waste the time on doing this honestly. but good luck,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store