Stick-on parameter indicators: yes/no?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
There are a number of these out there, from ammonia-only like this dealie or the all-in-ones of similar design. Seachem makes them which seems like a good sign, their products are usually high quality, but I am looking for comments from personal experience.

what prompts this post is that Greech recommended one to a poster who had an unexpected fish in a possibly not fully cycled tank. I had wondered about them all the way back in my all-freshwater days but had never thought about them for a SW tank.

Let's face it, for those of us who are not chemistry geeks water testing is just a pain in the butt, messy and time consuming, and nervewracking for those whose color vision (or vision in general, alas) is not the greatest, to try to match test tube to those little charts. If the stick-on indicators work it would be a great relief to just look whether the indicator is in All Is Well, or Time For Water Change, to Hey Dummy Time For Water Change Was Like A Week Ago, and of course the dreaded They're Dead Jim.

Personally I would still do the API test tube thing every few months no matter what, if only to see if the stick-on was wearing out. But if there was a way to cut back on the need to drag out the test tubes from once a week to once a month or more without endangering one's fish this would be a Good Thing.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
I used them on some of my first tanks (the ones that my fish kept dying in). Once I got my first API liquid test kit, I found the stick on's readings to be so far off I was surprised that it was even legal to sell them.

I suppose at least they taught me a lesson. Chemistry geek or not, accurate readings are more important than convenience when it comes to the well being of my fish.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Its just another warning sign to supplement more "accurate" colormetric tests. IME, the positive responses are late meaning it takes a while for the response to register on the meter. They are obviously not going to be your best defense against low levels of nutrients. However, if you are new to the hobby or you have a QT tank (usually less stable than a display), it is a cheap, in your face display. FWIW, I do think they are decently accurate once the response registers on the meter.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I wouldn't use them as my only source... But they would not be a bad warning sign. I had one on a FW tank, it wasn't the most accurate, but I could tell when I needed to fix things.

It's cheaper to buy an ammonia API liquid test kit. (if you only wanted ammonia readings)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I had the seachem ammonia alert thing on a tank for a couple months did show when I got a slight spike but then never returned to the normal color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store