Mbuna tank. Lots of stock, need your expert opinions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

b lurkn

Registered Member
Sep 15, 2012
colorado
Today I took my green terror and convict cichlids and sold them to the local fish store. I had them in a 46 gallon bow front in my living room, I initially planned on upgrading to a 100-125 gallon tank and running a American cichlid setup. But they tend to grow huge and be very aggressive (the ones I wanted to keep) and lack the color I can get going with a Mbuna setup.
I have never kept Mbuna so I'm here asking for your help, I have a stocklist I have come up with, I want a lot of color and variety while but not a blood bath (easier said then done as we all know with cichlids)
So here is my initial and probably over zealous stocklist:
First in the 46 I will grow out
-10 saulosi
-5 red zebra (metiaclima estherae)
Then I will to a 125 gallon tank and add
-5 cobalt zebra (metiaclima callanios)
-8 chalosi (pseudotropheus elongatus)
-3 albino socolofi
-6 yellow labs (labidochromis caeruleus)

This totals to 37 fish in a 125 gallon tank
The tank will be have plenty of rock with a 3d background so tons of territories and hiding places and will be well filtered by an fx5 and a 405

So let me know what you guys think, am I crazy?
If I can pull this off the colors will be amazing.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this and give me your opinion :)
-cheers, Brian

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds good as long as you stick to the plan..

b lurkn

Registered Member
Sep 15, 2012
colorado
Sounds good as long as you stick to the plan..
I did change the plan a little bit, with saulosi females, yellow labs, and the red zebras I was going to have a lot of yellow.
so I'm going to drop the saulosi and go wi maingano
To start in the 46 I think it's going to be better to grow out the less aggressive species so they are a bit bigger when introduced to the more aggressive species instead of the opposite.
i think starting with the labs, socolofi, and the colbalt zebras will be best

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
That works as well.. Have fun.. Keep us updated..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
For the 46gal I will add the labs, albino socolofis and mainganos; they are not as aggressive as the others and very different in coloration... nice mix of colors, by the way. Then, the others will be OK in the 125gal; just my opinion.

djlamonica

AC Members
Sep 16, 2012
You can overstock the hell out mbuna tanks in fact its reccomened your fine with that stock and could actaully do a few more.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store