What to add if anything?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ech2012

Registered Member
Oct 3, 2012
I am relatively new to cichlid tanks and was wondering what I should add, if anything to my 90 gallon tank.
I currently have
2 yellow labs
2 blue labs
1 red zebra
and 5 tiger barbs.
They are all getting along fine and I have had no problems with any of them. They are all pretty small right now, about 2 to 3 inches and so my tank kinda looks a little empty. I was wondering if there was some fish suggestions that I could add or if I should just be patient and wait to see them grow?

Thoughts?

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
What to add?

Lots more African cichlids.

One of the great things about African cichlids, is that in order to cut down on aggression, overstocking the tank is actually recommended. As long as you're willing to keep up with the tank maintenance, and have sufficient filtration that is. Right now, you are severely understocked. You could easily triple the number of Africans you have right now, and still be fine for stocking.

However, I'm not sure about the mixing of Tiger Barbs and African cichlids. While Tiger Barbs are often fairly aggressive in a community tank, they're sweet little puppy dogs in comparison to African mbuna.

ech2012

Registered Member
Oct 3, 2012
Okay sweet! I will definitely get some more cichlids. Are there any other fish that do well with them? I honestly need some kinda of algae eater but I'm not sure which to get. My tank runs about 7.8 PH that's the main reason I've had trouble figuring out what to get.

evnsmm05

AC Members
Aug 6, 2012
I put in a Chinese algae eater in with my cichlids and so far they're doing great together but I've heard of the cae get aggressive the bigger they get but he is an algae eating machine! I tried common plecos twice and both time the cichlids ate them :( good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store