First Reef tank, need some advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
I have just started to put together my 58 gallon tank, I am going to be running a Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump, I was planning on setting up a refugium in it. The questions I have are where should the protein skimmer be, the searching I have done says in front of the refugium, however I have also seen them setup behind it, is there a right and/or a wrong way? Next will a mag 5 pump be enough to run the tank? Lastly, I am new reef keeping should I add reactors into the filtration setup? Thanks for the help in advance.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
skimmer generally goes into the 1st compartment. As far as your pump you want it to match the output of the overflow. Reactors are nice, not something you have to have off the bat, if moneys not an issue sure but if it is focus on quality lighting, skimmer, rodi for now and leave room for reactors in the future.

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
Thanks for the Answer. I am looking at the sump, and it looks like there is no where the skimmer could go except in the return water compartment. Will this cause an issue? Any suggestions on what type of lighting i should run. I have used AH supply in the past but I don't know what the wattage requirements for coral are. I will have a canopy on the tank with a jump screen do to having a very brave cat. So I will be able to mount lights in the canopy.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Can do skimmer in the return. What are the dimensions of the tank? Budget for the lighting? IIRC most 58's are kinda tall so I'd lean toward halides.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Skimmer typically goes in the compartment where the drain from the display is. Skimmers are mechanical filtration so placing them where waste enters the sump is best. Placing the skimmer in the return area will only work if you have a very good ATO (auto top off) to keep the water level at a constant height in that section (and the appropriate height for your particular skimmer).

Here is a video off of Aqueon's website sheong the skimmer in the return section but what they dont tell you is that evaporation needs to be accounted for and that the water height in the return chamber may need to be adjusted to match skimmer specifications. I'm not sure if the height of the baffle that separates the 2nd and 3rd chanbers is adjustible. If not, you will need to get a skimmer that doesn't require more water height that what that baffle allows for.

http://www.aqueonproducts.com/education/videos/index.php?v=qYj7PQzl4cY

goalieman59

Gone Crazy, back soon
Jul 23, 2008
OFallon IL
The tank is
L 36.5 x W 18.5 x H 21

The budget for the lighting is around 200 if possible, if the lighting will be more I will just have to justifiy it to the wife.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
4+ bulb T5, halide(s) or good LEDs will light that tank just fine and allow you to keep most everything.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
$200 is a bit low for any quality lighting plus the bulbs, may need to ask the wife to bump the budget up another $100 or so, or go with my policy easier to ask forgiveness then permission :)

$200 could score you a good used t5 setup or a halide pendent and ballast though. DIY 4 bulb T5HO inside the canopy can be done on $200 budget but your looking at another $100 on bulbs. A good DIY LED probably close to the same as t5's.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
3-4"+ for DSB. With the retro go with good individual reflectors, as 4 bulbs is the bare minimum I'd run on a tank that size you don't want to skimp on the lighting, perhaps even consider adding 2 more bulbs some time down the road if you start getting into SPS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store