Angelfish Gender

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have two angelfish, I'm trying to figure out which one is male and which one is the female. I also been told the large one was the male, by my dad, but I don't believe him. But he said they are also wild angels. Still I don't believe him. One is a veil and the other isn't. The veil is the first angel I have. I seen them with eggs on my filter intake, but I never seen them lay the eggs, but the eggs turn white.

IMG_0729.JPG This is the best photo I have of both of the angels together.

Sorry for asking a lot. I'm trying not to be a troll.

IMG_0729.JPG

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I would say neither is wild. And my guess is the one on the left is the female.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
from my understanding, it is impossible to sex angels unless you see them laying eggs. the angel with the larger breeding tube (papila) poking out during laying/fertilizing is the female.

Drigan

Registered Member
Oct 1, 2012
Anglefish chasing gourami and other anglefish

True, in my tank there are 6 anglefish and there seems to be a pair(They always hang out with eachother on the bottom right of the tank) and they only chase the other anglefish and the honey & dwarf gourami, they seem to ignore the guppies and neon tetras) I think they might be breeding because I caught the one with 3 thin stripes on its tail chasing the others away. It hangs out with the anglefish with a thick line running along the top and the line just below that only reaches half way from the end of the tail (sorry about the description, its the way I identify each anglefish) and ocationly tries to bite black tail(anglefish with most of its tail black). Are they breeding?
3.JPGphoto.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto4.JPGSorry about the whole tank one, the anglefish get excited when I approach them. The first and second are the ones that seem to be mating

I have 6 anglefish, 1 unidentified sliver fish, 6 orange unidentifies fish, 8 neon tetras, 4 female guppies, 3 catfish, 1 honey gourami, 1 dwarf gourami, in 2nd tank, one unidentifies sliver fish-porbaly chiclid unlike the first, in 3rd tank, one pregnant guppy, in 4th tank around 30 baby guppies and maybe a baby molly or two

3.JPG photo.JPG photo2.JPG photo4.JPG

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Your angels may of formed a pair. They will become aggressive towards other angels. My dad had 6 angels, 2 formed a pair and nearly killed off the rest, till he removed the pair from the tank. Just becareful with spawning angels.

The 6 orange fish you have are red glofish, basicly zebra danios injected with something that makes them glow neon colors.

My angelfish are both female, thought one was male, but turns out they both lay eggs. Since I have no other angels, besides the 2 I have now, I don't have to deal with their aggressiveness.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if a pair do form you will prob need to move them to a different tank..more for aggression issues as Angels are conspecifc aggressive(they are aggressive to their own kind)
the colored fish are actually glo fish, these appear to be Danos that are genetically altered for neon colors.. they are not dyed or injected with anything. they were engineered with genetic fluorescence gene to glow and used to detect pollutants in water.

Drigan

Registered Member
Oct 1, 2012
Further developments with the ?breeding pair?

When should I move them?
One of the pair has developes a hump on his head and starts doing darting movements to specific anglefish, then bites or darts at them again. The other anglefish just chases the others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store