Angels Not Eating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have 6 Platinum Angels in a 29 galllon tank. Every time I go to feed them they would swim twards me and get excited about getting fed. For about a week they have been just sitting in the tank they don't move much and don't get excited about beeing fed. I tried their favorite food Brine Shrimp and they may take one and let all the others fall to the gravel. I don't see any fin rot, Ick, or any other problem. I usually test my own water but this time I had are local TFS test my water and they say its perfect. They cannot tell me what is wrong with them. Has any one ever had this problem and what did you do. Could it be over crouding, they are not full grown yet. Should I put an antibiotic along with the salt and water changes.
Thanks for your help.

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
Lets see if I can help
What is your tank temperature? Angels like warm water 78 degrees would be good

I wouldn't trust what your store says about your water quality.most fish stores only use those 5-1 test strips,they are extremely inaccurate.
You should get yourself a API liquid test kit if you don't have one already.

You haven't mentioned how often you do water changes,how often do you do that,and how much water do you take it when you do?
I am currently running 28 tanks ranging from 10-195 gallons,every tank gets MinimuM 30-50% water change weekly.(sometimes more if a tank has a bigbio load)
My 150 and 195 gallon discus tanks get 70% three times a week.

Edit-
Do you have a bigger tank for those angels once they grow up?
This tank is to small for them long-term.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
My tank Temperature is about 79 degrees. No the fish store did not use the 5-1 strips they used drops. I do have the test kit I was worried that I was wrong and wanted the TFS to double check. I do 30% water change every week and every 2 weeks I do a real heavy cleaning and take out 50%. If I see the fish acting strange I do an extra cleaning 30%. I am in the process of spliting them up for breeding. I have two angels per 20 gallons. My tanks range from 55 gallon to 2.5 gallon most of them are 20 gallons and up. I have 4 Double black angels in a 55 gallon.
I appreciate your help.

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
Everything sounds pretty good,maybe it could be one of your foods(possibly freeze dried or frozen foods)
I have had sickness show up when I was feeding frozen and freeze dried foods.
Even if you properly thaw and rinse frozen foods there is a small chance parasites can be introduced.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
How long have you had them?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
...Should I put an antibiotic along with the salt and water changes.
does this mean you normally have a little salt in your tank? if so, how much? after evolving in soft water for millions of years (or being specifically created for soft water) they've only been kept in hard water for ~100 years give or take. There are mixed opinions on keeping soft water fish in hard salted water. Obviously many of them do fine, but it could be one of those factors that can keep them from thriving.

...every 2 weeks I do a real heavy cleaning and take out 50%...
what do you mean by "real heavy cleaning?"

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
By Real heavy cleaning I mean scrubbing the sides of the tank and going down into the gravel and getting all the dirt out.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
stress from over cleaning? maybe

age? nah

givem a few days (like 3) then start feeding them again

yeah cut their food off for a little bit

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
can you clarify?

these are platinum angels (6) you've had for about 1 year?

in a 29 g?

later you posted you were ready to split them up..is this because they are pairing up?
usually at this age..domestic Scalare are well on their way to 'pairing up' usually resulting in a lot of pushing and shoving .sometimes they can get down right nasty...
have you noticed any aggression in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store