Lookin to fill out my CUC...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
Current CUC:

10ish astrea snails
6ish dwarf hermits (blue and red leg)
1 coral banded shrimp
1 stomatella snail
1 emerald crab
2 nassarus snails

Looking at:

5 astrea snails
10 dwarf hermits (blue leg)
1 emerald crab
10 nassarus snails
2 fighting conch
1 porcelain crab
4 cerith snails
4 peppermint shrimp
2 chestnut turbo snails

and if I can find them, 5 or 6 ringed or money cowrie. (cyprae annulus or monetus, respectively)

Questions:

1. Will the CBS attack the peppermint shrimp in a 55 or is there enough room for everyone to be happy? And if I can find a reasonably priced Cleaner Shrimp, will the CBS attack him?
2. How many different crab species can I house in a 55? I found that emeralds are tolerant of each other online, but not sure of the rest. I did have a sally light foot crab for awhile but found him dead one day. I don't know if he had it out with the emerald or if something else happened. They seemed to get along fine while he was around...
3. Is that list of snails too much for the tank to feed?
4. I read that the fighting conchs won't climb the glass or rocks cuz they're too big and bulky, so they stick to the sand. So is two too many for mmm... 6ishx48 inches of sand? Says online they get to 3-4 inches...

Thank you for any advice and any nudging you can offer! I really appreciate it!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
My personal experience with the CBS was that they were peaceful for a while and slowly became more aggressive. How long have you had yours?

I would most of the snails would be ok, I never had luck with astreas, so maybe ditch those if you don't really need them. My turbos knock down a lot of stuff which is annoying, but most of my frags aren't glued down.

Not really a fan of emerald crabs, never had an issue but I've heard first hand stories of their destruction of corals.

I would go with one conch but a lot of it depends on how much open sand you have, I know you said 6x48 but a pic would help. I'd say with the nassarious the conch wouldn't be necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
More cerith, maybe some nerites. CBS are tricky like said might not bother the pep's, but peps are *******s as well they might start knocking each other off I had that happen before I have two now seem to be a pair, but I had bought 3 in the past and was left with one after a couple weeks. Also in my experience red legs are better then blue, blue seem more prone to killing snails and other crabs. I've kept emerald, porcelein and pompom's all in the same tank never saw any conflicts between them and they never seemed to bother anybody else. SLF can get kinda big when fully grown and then how safe they are becomes questionable.

KellyFrancis

Holo the Wise Wolf
Jul 13, 2012
Cool. Thanks for the advice guys! To answer some questions in return... I've had the CBS since oh March or so. I've got 10 astreas so they're not a problem for me. lol. And the blue leg hermits haven't been a problem yet either, but I'll keep an eye on them. I've got plenty of extra shells at the bottom of the tank to prevent any unnecessary theft and murder. I don't have any coral yet, but will probably experiment with zoas soon so good to know about the emerald. Oh and the web said that peps were herd animals and did best in a group, from your experience, it sounds like the opposite, TL. Any idea why you had a problem with them?

I mostly want the conch for variety's sake as I seem to have an affinity for inverts of late. lol.

I don't seem to have any recent pics of the tank but when I get home, I'll snap a quick one and throw it up. Its a 55, so 13 inches deep and the rock is stacked as much as I can against the back wall of the tank so I'd guess there's like 6 inches of open sand in the front. But like I said, I'll get a pic.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm not sure why I had the problem, like I said in one tank two are happily living together, in the other tank only 1 left, I don't think its a space issue as the 29g is the one with 2 and the 40b with 1 left. My experience has been most shrimp can be somewhat predatory against each other if not their own kind they will go after smaller shrimp species, my exceptions have been Sexy shrimp bother noone, and cleaners bother noone, my pistols have never bothered other shrimp either but I'd wager if one tried to come into the pistols home it would get blasted.

If your looking for invert variety you could add brittle star to the list.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I wouldn't mix the porcelain crab and the emerald. The emerald will more than likely kill the porcelain

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store