Dog owners - need tricks to stop digging

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
Any dog owners have any yricks to stop the dogs from digging? Mine keep getting out of the back yard and I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
That is a very hard thing to train away because the dog does it when you are not around. There is no way to correct the bad behavior OR reward the good (when they choosing not to dig out). Add to that the fact that digging itself, and probably the act of escaping too, is highly self rewarding for dogs. Typically this type of thing requires management. So, not letting your dogs out when you are not out there with them. Or if that is not an option, constructing an outdoor kennel with a buried fence or concrete floor or some other method to keep them from digging out if they must be outside unattended. That can be pretty expensive though.

Many people crate their dogs inside during the workday so that the dog does not chew or fowl the house, so that is another affordable option. As long as it is a reasonable period and you exercise your dogs and give them access to potty just before leaving and just after coming home, this is not cruel, and will certainly be safer and better for your dogs than escaping and running loose. Most dogs just sleep away the day while their owners are gone anyway. BTW I know many border collie owners who crate during the day, there are not many dogs more energetic than a border collie and they do quite well with crating as long as they get training, attention, and exercise when the owner comes home.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
odds are you dog has too much energy. Depending on the breed, your dog should be walking/running at least a mile a day. Most destructive behaviors stem from frustration and energy, so provide for him a psychologically engaging form of work/play.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Grind its paws down to the wrist.

this is a joke, calm down people

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
for $100, you can put an underground dog fence bordering your yard fence. That will keep him from digging to freedom, but it doesn't protect the rest of your yard.

odds are you dog has too much energy. Depending on the breed, your dog should be walking/running at least a mile a day. Most destructive behaviors stem from frustration and energy, so provide for him a psychologically engaging form of work/play.
^

Grind its paws down to the wrist.

this is a joke, calm down people
^^^

Alasse

AC Members
Oct 21, 2011
QLD, Australia
Real Name
Rebecca
They also dont like to dig where they have pooped. Any hole my GSD dug got her poop added and covered over. That stopped the behavior

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
I have heard of the poop thing but haven't tried it. The male dug another new hole this morning and got out again. Thankfully my boyfriend will be home today with the invisible fence. I will be trying all of these suggestions (the legit ones). Thanks everyone!

stephybabe88

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
Texas
And I'm sure the energy thing is 99% of the problem. They are hunting dogs and one is still a pup (a 50lb pup, but still only 7months old). We will be making more of an effort to walk them more and longer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store