Lights&top for a 40breeder.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
ok, I've officially decided on doing Saltwater for the 40 breeder. This is going to be a FOWLR tank. Here is what I'm working with so far...

What you're looking at: 40breeder tank with stand, the box in the left hand corner is an overflow box I plugged with PVC...very bad drilling originally. I was planning on using a higher-end canister filter on it, will that work? Also, I am trying to pick out an appropriate hood/cover/lighting system for this...what kinda suggestion do you guys have as far as a top goes? I am very confused on what type of liggting I need for this FOWLR...I don't think I need something as powerful as the HQi light on my Biocube...but I want the tank to stay happy and healthy, so I thougbt I'd ask...

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Oh, and, sorry for all the busy-ness in the picture LOL the room it's sitting in is our old music studio...under renovation right now...one time me and the band got drunk and wrote all over the walls....we're repainting this coming weekend :)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My preferred top is windowscreen framing fitted with 1/4" mesh from BRS. It'll keep most smaller jumpers in. If your not going to have anything small eggcrate works.

FOWLR no special type of lighting needed, just whatever suits your tastes looks wise, 2 bulb T5 is probably how I would do it so I could get the colors the way I like, though a single tube would be fine for FOWLR.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
+1 on the screen frame top with mesh. Water evaps quicker, but at least no light being blocked by salt build up. For light, id go with dual 10000k and dual actinic T5's. If next to wall, use adjustable shelf brackets and hang light from it, so can adjust light height above tank. Live Rock/sand couple powerheads and a canister filter, should b a perfect setup

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you are sure it will be nothing more than a FOWLR then a cheap low watt LED light would be the way to go IMO or a DYI LED. There are lots of low watt LED fixtures out there. Even the strip lights would work just fine. If there is even the slightest chance the tank will go to a reef, 4x or 6x T5, LEDs or halides (or any combination of the 3). A 2 bulb T5 would be fine for now but you won't be happy with it if you go to add corals later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store