Anyone done a 20g long marine/ reef?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iJohno

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Was wondering if anyone has done a 20gallon LONG marine or reef tank?

I seen lots of people do it, but is it hard cause I know water parameters could be thrown off and change at a frequent rate for being a small tank.

And if you did, rimless or with rim? A rimless shop is charging me around the 100s for a rimless tank and a regular tank is 40-50 bucks.

SpruceGruve

Snail
Jul 17, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Real Name
Steve
I have seen it before,but like you said very hard to keep unless your very expericened with marine

The setup I saw had a 40-50 gallon sump hidden underneath,not really a small setup per say,but they kept it hidden nicely

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Its only as hard as you make it and what specific animals you want to keep. Lots of people are doing nano tanks these days with great success. Evaporation can be an issue in a small tank so you will need to account for that by being sure to top off the tank daily (or sometimes twice a day based on the temperature and humidity in your house). Dosing for calcium, alkalinity and magnesium should be fairly non-existent as long as regular 10 to 20% water changes (weekly is usually best) are being done. Nutrient control should also be handled just fime with those water changes supplemented by a good skimmer. THis is where using a sump is best. More water to give you a little more buffer for evaporation changes and a place to use a good submersible skimmer. However, not having a sump should not prevent one from having a successful nano tank. Research what you want to keep and understand the limitations of your display tank/equipment and you'll be in good shape.

iJohno

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks for the tips,

When I do decide to go about my 20gallon long, I really just want a nice reef set-up with some shrimp, starfish and maybe 2 or 3 clown fishes.

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
I've have a 20gal long reef, been running for over 3yrs. As long as you take your time getting tank cycled, live rock fully cured, don't even need extra filtration. Mine does fine with 2 hydor powerheads, and water changes. I hav a rimmed top, but use a mesh screen top, so hav to top off water frequently from evaporation. I was running a canister filter on it, but mainly for mechanical filtration, kept water lil more clear. so more filtration doesn't hurt, but for small nanos, your live rock is your main filtration.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
The smallest reef I had was a 14g bio cube but I built it specifically for an all rare Zoa Garden and the only inverts were the clean up crew and a pistol shrimp and the only fish were 2 yasha gobies. It was extremely easy and was doing amazingly until I had to sell it.

I actually started salt with a small desk top 7 gallon tank and then moved up to a 20 gallon high. Now the same inhabitants from those are in a 29 gallon set up and it's going strong!

Just do your research and build a game plan on your life stock. Don't over stock it and you'll do great!

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
With the right amount of knowledge and effort, you can have a great reef in a 20 long.

I would suggest not having 3 clowns, as the 3rd one may become an outcast and potentially be bullied if / when the other 2 decide to pair up. It will depend, to some extent, what type of clowns you are interested in, but I would not recommend it to a beginner or even in a tank that's only 20g.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Definitely no more than 2 clowns regardless of the species. And I would stick to percula and ocellaris as most others are going to be fairly aggressive and outgrow a 20L.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store