75 Gallon Planning Phase

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Hello everyone. This is my 75 Gallon Saltwater Reef Tank Planning Thread. Mostly because I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it yet.

So, this is the entire idea in a nutshell: Reef tank with at least 5 species of fish. Preferably low-maintenance.

The equipment is rather straitforward. 48in Dual Build T5 HO Light, an Eheim 2215 Canister Filter an 50-60lbs of Live Rock for filtration. 2X Powerheads for current (maybe more over time). Sand substrate, no sump, not too complex I would hope.

Now, my stock plan currently looks like this:

Plant Stock: Shaving Brush Plant (Penicillus sp.) - For added filtration and because I love plants.

Clean Up Crew: 4X Blue Leg Hermit, 4X Cerith Snail, 2X Peppermint Shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp (maybe), Porcelain Crab - Because a clean up crew is needed.

Fish Stock: 2XFirefish, 5X Spotted Cardinalfish, 1X Sailfin/Algae Blenny, 2X Ocellaris Clowfish (tank bred) - I'm looking for another fish that is compatible with these without overstocking the tank.

Invert Stock: 2XFeather Duster - I love feather dusters!

Coral Stock: Green Polyp Leather Coral, Green Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral, Evergreen Starbust Polyp Coral, Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral (brown), Stylophora Coral (maybe), Birdsnest Coral (maybe). - I tried to find corals that were ALWAYS peaceful and were low-maintenance, but I'm not sure if I did. Anyone know knows how difficult these are to care for, please do speak up. Will they all be okay under a T5 HO light, dual bulb?

And that's the plan so far. The tank is currently being drained of it's old freshwater and will, over the next month, be refilled with salt water and have the rock scape set up. I hope to have fish in it by 2013, and corals by 2014.

Thank you for reading,

~Travis

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Hello everyone. This is my 75 Gallon Saltwater Reef Tank Planning Thread. Mostly because I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with it yet.

So, this is the entire idea in a nutshell: Reef tank with at least 5 species of fish. Preferably low-maintenance.

The equipment is rather straitforward. 48in Dual Build T5 HO Light, an Eheim 2215 Canister Filter an 50-60lbs of Live Rock for filtration. 2X Powerheads for current (maybe more over time). Sand substrate, no sump, not too complex I would hope.

Now, my stock plan currently looks like this:

Plant Stock: Shaving Brush Plant (Penicillus sp.) - For added filtration and because I love plants.

Clean Up Crew: 4X Blue Leg Hermit, 4X Cerith Snail, 2X Peppermint Shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp (maybe), Porcelain Crab - Because a clean up crew is needed.

Fish Stock: 2XFirefish, 5X Spotted Cardinalfish, 1X Sailfin/Algae Blenny, 2X Ocellaris Clowfish (tank bred) - I'm looking for another fish that is compatible with these without overstocking the tank.

Invert Stock: 2XFeather Duster - I love feather dusters!

Coral Stock: Green Polyp Leather Coral, Green Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral, Evergreen Starbust Polyp Coral, Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral (brown), Stylophora Coral (maybe), Birdsnest Coral (maybe). - I tried to find corals that were ALWAYS peaceful and were low-maintenance, but I'm not sure if I did. Anyone know knows how difficult these are to care for, please do speak up. Will they all be okay under a T5 HO light, dual bulb?

And that's the plan so far. The tank is currently being drained of it's old freshwater and will, over the next month, be refilled with salt water and have the rock scape set up. I hope to have fish in it by 2013, and corals by 2014.

Thank you for reading,

~Travis
Since your looking at mushrooms you may be able to keep them, but for other corals you would probably need more lighting.

A lot of people get skimmers on their SW tank or a sump (I'm looking into one eventually)

That amount of LR should be good for what your wanting.

I'm sure some people who know a lot more will help you! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The Starburst and standard Toadstool should be okay with that lighting, assuming you don't try to keep them on the very bottom of the tank (they still may survive, but it'd be pushing it) and assuming you put high-quality bulbs in. Everything else will probably want more light.

Also, be careful with Briareum, or just about anything in the Starburst/Star Polyp name-group. They aren't aggressive but they are rather invasive. They won't send out sweepers to kill their neighbors, but they will spread given the right conditions. Which in some cases is even worse then aggressive. Aggressive corals you simply give space too. Invasive corals you have to isolate, since they take being given space as a challenge.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Okay, thank you both. I'll probably get a 2nd 48in light for the tank before I add any high-light corals, would that be enough for them? As for the briareum... I suppose I can put it on it's own little rock formation away from the others... will it cross over sand?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Given good-quality bulbs, you should be okay. The Green Toadstool and the SPS may benefit more from 6 bulbs, but they should manage under 4 as long as you place them with that in mind.

The Briareum grows in a mat. The mat will grow over just about anything. But it attaches better to rock then it does to glass and attaches better to glass then it does sand. Which makes it easy to trim back to it's prison.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You're going to want some sort of top on the tank if you want to keep your firefish, I like 1/4" netting.

CBS and peppermints are both aggressive little buggers in this case the CBS will come out on top, would be hesitant to mix either with any other type of shrimp other then pistols. Sometimes you can get away with it but you'll be pretty pissed if a $5 peppermint kills a $30 cleaner.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Ah, I see... so the fact the tank is 75 gallons won't help at all? Well, I'd have to pick the peppermints... they could at least take down any aiptasia that tries to grow up.

I am glad I have a planning thread and plenty of time!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Ah, I see... so the fact the tank is 75 gallons won't help at all? Well, I'd have to pick the peppermints... they could at least take down any aiptasia that tries to grow up.

It won't be cheap :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY

Not really eventually the CBS will probably decide to eat them as it gets older. Marine shrimp are alot different then the FW ones your probably use too, marine species don't mix that well with a few exceptions, skunk cleaners and sexy's generally won't bother noone and stay out of each others territory. Pistols will leave other shrimp alone as long as the other shrimp don't wander into their lair.

I'd also step up the snail part of your CUC what you got listed would be fine to add after you cycle but once you start stocking fish that really isn't much. I'd suggest a few nerites, a dozen mini cerith's, a few nassirus,some zig zags. planaxis a couple turbo's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store