Buying a canister

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So my two penguin 350's on my 110 are 1 noisy and 2 since its so takll i dont think they get much from the bottom. So I am buying a canister and I was looking at the
1) Fluval 406
2) Fluval 405
3) Marineland 360
4) Filstar XP L (rena).

Few questions, I know fluval and marinland are of comparable quality and different people will swear by theirs whichever it will be, instead my question is are the upgrades from the 406 to the 405 worth the extra $30 for a filter that does the same workload?

I was set on a marineland or fluval but then I found the Rena filter who for $120 (price of the 405 old model fluval) says it handles up to 175 gallons?? Is this filter actually good/legit or is this just a claim made? If it is actually true and these are quality filters who do have that capacity then it is the one I am going with since right now I only have a 110g but I am positive in the future I will have a larger tank lol.

hawkerw

AC Members
Oct 12, 2012
Its a hard choice. For a 110 I would run more than just one filter. I have Marineland and Fluval. My two 406 Fluvals have been great. I can not answer your question about the 05 to 06 as I have only the 06 version. Are you planning to keep the 350 also? With the Marineland its also a good filter made in China it is almost the same as the Aquatop, Sun Sun or Jebo. If you go Marineland or any of its clones I would go with the largest model IE 530 instead. Only problem I have had is that it spits some air sometime. I have not had a Rena but all I have heard about them is nothing but good people who own them seem to swear by them. My two cents hope it helps?

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Yes thank you for your input, I decided to go with the marineland filter just now, I read all review on all the ones posted. They all have approx the same flow rate so I have no idea how the rena can boast it handles that much bigger of tank so I took that one off my list. I went with the marineland instead of a knock off like aquatop or sun sun because I am wary of buying cheap products as you often get what you pay for (my odyssea light fixture sucks majorly). A filter is something far too important to have things go wrong or god forbid break (not filtering or leaking all over!). It honestly was a toss up between the fluval 405-406 and marineland. I read about the process of filtering and I think I like the marinelands better as it has no bypass, also the fluvals tubes I read/saw are ribbed? That just seemed like a possible place for problems. All of the review of marineland said its a solid well made filter and it should do the trick for me I think. It was a little more ($140 shipped vs the 405 $120 shipped) but I figure fluval came out with a new version for a reason, so I was hesitant to get the 405 and the 406 was a little more than the marineland. Also I read the fluvals dont come with spray bars which are popular and I think the marineland did. So it should be in next week and I hope it works out well! My tank doesnt have a very full bio-load (its stocked probably about 70%) and has a fair number of plants, I am hoping to get away with just this one filter for now.

One more question tho, do these higher-end canisters usually come with the media? I know the cheap-os dont.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
I bought my first canister filter a few weeks ago, an Eheim 2217 for my 40B.. I really couldn't be any happier with it than what I am.

It's completely silent and it came with all of the required media and a spray bar. I paid about $130 dollars off Amazon. It's so dead silent I honestly was nervous it wasn't running and I had to check several times, it's that quiet.

Every one says they're rock solid reliable and they're very simple to set up (the instructions suck and you have to cut the houses to attach the spray bar and shut off valves but otherwise it's straight forward).

I can totally agree with Marineland 350s being loud.. I run one on the tank located in my kitchen and it's rather noisy..

Just my 2 cents. Maybe other canisters are more awesome I wouldn't know I've not used them. :)

Last edited:

hawkerw

AC Members
Oct 12, 2012
One more question tho, do these higher-end canisters usually come with the media? I know the cheap-os dont

The Marineland filters come with media but no spraybar. The One thing I changed out in all of mine was the Bio Balls, they aren't the best Bio Media. Get some Fluval Biomax, Eheim, or Seachem Matrix Regular. Most of the big Canisters like Eheim and Fluval FX5 etc. you have to buy the media seperate. I still want a 2080 Eheim but its like $410.00 the cheapest I have found new.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I am also a fan of Eheims. They smaller ones come with all the media needed, and quick disconnect valves. If you get into the larger ones, the 2250, 2260 or 2262, then you need to buy the media separate. I have used the Eheim Classics and the Eheim Pro. I would never buy a Pro again. If you go with a Eheim, get a classic. I am using some Sun Sun filters at the moment and think they are a good filter for the price. You will need to buy the bio media and some mechanical pads as well. If you go with Sun Sun, or any other filter that does not come with media, buy this to cut a fit into the bottom of the trays, http://compare.ebay.com/like/290727659362?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar and then on top of that, fill them up with Seachem Matrix http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seachem-Lab...487?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c9a09b9f
On the top tray, on top of the Matrix, put some pillow stuffing to use as filter floss. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1kg-Polyest...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item4ab53cb95a

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So with my marineland the only thing I need to /should replace are the bio balls with ceramic rings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Turn your list upside down, then put Eheim 2217 at the top. Done. If you will have a heavily planted/decorated tank, either get a pair of 2217s or plan on adding power heads to encourage circulation.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Turn your list upside down, then put Eheim 2217 at the top. Done. If you will have a heavily planted/decorated tank, either get a pair of 2217s or plan on adding power heads to encourage circulation.
Already ordered marineland, now asking about media

hawkerw

AC Members
Oct 12, 2012
So with my marineland the only thing I need to /should replace are the bio balls with ceramic rings?

Thats correct I'd do ither Fluval Biomax or Seachem Matrix, Seachem also makes a carbon called Matrix so just be careful to get the regular Matrix it's also work out cheaper than the Biomax. If you do a search for a place called Kens Fish in Massachusetts they sell it cheap and have a very good reputation. 67chevelle made a great point about the media pads also as long as your willing to cut your own it works better in my opinion and saves a good amount of money. Kens sells the stuff for like $3.60 a sheet makes two to three pads vs. $8.99 for the Marineland precut set of two. What model did you order the 360 or 530?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store