Discus gone dark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joshschroder

AC Members
Sep 6, 2012
I have had a 55 gallon planted discus tank up for about 4-5 weeks. I noticed a couple days ago that one was darker than normal. I thought it was stress, did a 25% wc tested,the water, (ph-7.6; ammon-0; ites-0; ates- 0). His coloration is still dark. I have not seen him eat, but he is not.losimg weight. The temp is zround 84. Then this morning i noticed another is dark and he looks like he has a whitish strand of dust hanging from his gill. The only thing i changed was addind excel to the tank for the plants. And i have noticed brown algea on some of the plants since then as well. I have not added anymore thinking this may be the problem. Any thoughts are appreciated.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
How did you cycle your tank ? Are you certain your test readings are correct/accurate?
4-5 weeks may not have been long enough to complete a full, effective cycle.
Perhaps more importantly, when did you add the discus to the tank, what size are they, and where did you get them ?

Joshschroder

AC Members
Sep 6, 2012
The tank was cycled for at least two months prior, i had cichlids before the discus. The fish are about three inches, i added the fish that have gone dark abot three weeks ago. I bought them at fantastic fins, a local recommenddd to me by a friend who is big into fish, and they order the fish from stendker in germany. When i got home from work today, they were both lightened up a little bit. I retested, ammonia was up to .25ppm. Doing a 15 gallon wc right now

Joshschroder

AC Members
Sep 6, 2012
The tank has been established for about two months longer than the discus have lived in it. I had other cichlids before these guys. I did put a new filter on with the old one for about a week and a half before putting the discus in.

The first two fish went in the tank about 5 weeks ago. The one that i first noticed darken went in a week after with the other dark one and a third, who is doing fine. They are all about 3 inches, and come from a store recommended to me by a friend. Fantastic fins orders the discus from stendkers in germany.

I redid tests today when i got home from work. The ammonia was up at .25 ppm. The nitrites and ates were both at zero again. A friend is bringing his test kits to double check mine later. I did about a 15 gallon water change. Both of the darkened discus have lightened in color but the tourq that darkened is now showing his bars.

I was also conditioning the water after i put it in the tanks. From now on i will do it before hand.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What other cichlids? Other cichlids for two months..and then switching to discus doesn't mean you won't have issues. I'd up that WC to 50% till you have a handle on this. And what do you mean by "conditioning the water" ?

ate010

AC Members
Jul 7, 2010
I have good expirenc with discus. I was breeding discus for 3 year. First what is your tank tempretcher and remove other discus from this tank because its dangers to other fish. Then if the degre 29-31 c . Reduce to 25-26c then tell me if it go or no.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ate010

AC Members
Jul 7, 2010
Also try to reduce ph to 6.8-7

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I have good expirenc with discus. I was breeding discus for 3 year. First what is your tank tempretcher and remove other discus from this tank because its dangers to other fish. Then if the degre 29-31 c . Reduce to 25-26c then tell me if it go or no.

Also try to reduce ph to 6.8-7

Why? A unstable short lived tank...and no need to recommend pH changes until you know his current set up is stable. Don't direct folks to change things until you have a steady system..and pH is the least of your worries with discus.

ate010

AC Members
Jul 7, 2010
Discus is very sensetive to ph. And some discus don't like more than 7. Also about the temp. Just try for 1-2 day if the color back to normal or no before change ph. Its wark with me and i close the heater and the temp was 24

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
pH is only a factor for discus that are wild or from areas with low pH .. often discus are raised in much higher pH with no issues.
I suspect a .25 NH3 reading is the culprit..if you think pH is an issue then any ammonia in a discus tank would be considered a 'glaring' issue.
the fact that ammonia is reading .25 would indicate the tank is at minimum going thru a mini cycle. discus are very sensitive to any ammonia in the tank
you should try to up the water change to 50%.
also check your tap for NH3/NH4 as often chloramine is present and could give a reading.
that said a well established tank would easily process nh3/nh4 in a matter of hours and you would be getting a 0 reading for total ammonia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store