Quasimoto of fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Speaking of freaks of nature...

I wish so badly that we had taken pictures of my mom's freak fish... when i was a kid, my mom had a 55 that had a breeding pair of Convicts and some tetras in it. She later turned it into an angel tank with a beautiful pair and some tetras. one day when she was cleaning under the wrought iron stand...

she noticed something move UNDER the under-gravel filter.

It was the most sickly and disgusting looking convict I have ever seen. it was crooked and sideways and gnarly and all white. apparently a convict fry had gotten under the UG filter and had survived by eating muck. she let it live down there in the underworld of her angel tank after that... i never did ask her what happened to it...

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
creepy... but wow, that is one hardy fish!

mesto

There's a FISH in the percolator!
Apr 28, 2012
I actually had a similar experience when I was a kid. It was a CAE in my case. I had a 10G hex and we bought a few CAEs (didn't know better at the time, this was definitely pre-internet and we believed what walmart told us on stuff we should not have!). Of course they all died, or so I thought. I got busy, fish were living in the tank for several years and I was not doing regular WC. In fact those were the days that my whole family though "cleaning" the tank meant taking the fish out and actually cleaning everything, changing filter cartridges, etc. Well, I had a couple danios, an african dwarf frog and snails in there that lived for years. One day I got it in my head that the poor tank had been neglected for too long and I was going to take the afternoon and really clean the sucker out, ALL the way. Break it down completely with soap and everything. :shakehead: Anyway, when I removed the UGF grate I found a CAE in there just like you describe - albinized, sort of deformed, just driven plain weird by years growing up like that. I felt so bad for it. I did NOT put it back in the UGF space and probably as a consequence of the shock of everything it had ever known suddenly being completely different, and I'm sure the cycle I put my tank into, it died shortly thereafter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store