Peacock Eel behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingmed

AC Members
Aug 13, 2008
Bloomsburg Pa.
Didn't know where this thread should go so since Peacocks are bottom dwellers I thought this might be the place.
I have 2 peacock eels, 1 was bought about 4 weeks ago and the other one a few days ago, the one that I just bought is almost twice as big around as my 1st one but the same length, when putting it with my older one they both seemed real excited. They both like to bury themselves except for their head and tail in the pool filter sand until late evening when they come out and play. They seem to like playing with each other and it looks like they kiss on each other, they will also twirl around each other and also swim around the tank at times as a dual. Just wondering if this could be courtship or is this normal for them to do this? When I bought them it said they were semi aggressive but I have never seen any aggression what so ever, they leave the other fish alone and don't seem to bother anything. I also have one of the small bumblebee catfish about 1/2 inch long in the tank and with all the mopani drift wood and feller rock the little guy hides out most of the time.

Also I am wanting to add some fish to go mid to top but are a little unusual, thought about the African spotted leaf fish from petsmart but didn't know if they get to aggressive with the peacocks or bumblebee catfish? I don't know a hole lot of unusual type fish that are none aggressive for the tank which is a 55 gallon. I have 3 mollies and 2 platy's in the tank at present time but am wanting to get rid of these and put some better fish in the tank. Thought about a pearl gourami since I think they are one of the prettiest of the gourami's and they do get pretty big. Thought about an angel fish, silver dollars, leaf fish, butterfly fish for the top? don't know what would be a good center type fish to attract others to want to see the tank. Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks.

Text

AC Members
Sep 4, 2013
Farmer City Illinois
Real Name
Randall
that is a good sign of courtship.To sex them generally the male will have a bit of color in him and the female will be sort of bland in color. Males are also smaller than females. I've had quite a few peacocks as they are my favorite eel.As far as tankmates they will aggressively defend themselves and probably kill a mean fish if you put one in .I had a peacock the hit a chichlid so hard( like a propose would a shark lol) its whole face turned purple and it was actually knocked out for a few minutes the eel was undamaged .Go with docile fish that prefer the upper areas of your tank to avoid this.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Avoid the Leaf Fish. They are shy, but can be aggressive and may take a shot at an eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store