saltwater set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

war horse

Registered Member
Oct 14, 2012
hi iv got a 125l tank and i want this one to be a saltwater tank i have two fluval 3 filters what else do i need thankyou

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
hi iv got a 125l tank and i want this one to be a saltwater tank i have two fluval 3 filters what else do i need thankyou
Do you want coral's?

If not, this is a basic list: (other things that I didn't mention)

Aragonite sand
100-140 LBS of live rock
Lighting of some sort
Protein skimmer

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
A bit much rock there 125l is about 30g :)

Need to know what you want to do with the tank to figure out exactly whats needed, but at the minimum basic SW liquid test kits, salt, refractometer, circulation pumps, heater. If you want corals add skimmer, RODI unit or source for RODI water, tds meter, good lighting, more extensive test kits.

war horse

Registered Member
Oct 14, 2012
i want a couple of clown fish couple of shrimp maybe another fish and abit of live rock and sand

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
When I first saw this I thought it was a 125 gallon long lol. But if its 30gal then here's a decent list:

Need:
30-40lbs of Live Rock
Powerhead of some sort.
The filters you have are fine.
Heater

Accessories
T5 Light (for corals if you want to expand later on)
Skimmer (it will help)

For stock, clown fish are a good choice for centerpiece fish(Occelaris Clownfish). I would suggest some kind of small goby or perhaps a dartfish(Firefish) as a tankmate. For inverts, I would suggest either Peppermint Shrimp OR Banded Coral Shrimp - not both, as I hear saltwater shrimp will kill each other. A few tiny hermits(Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit) and some Cerith Snails would be good for a FOWLR tank. Here is a full list of cleaner inverts.

You will want to give the tank a LOT of time to cycle, at least 2 weeks, more on 4, before you add any living creatures besides the live rock. Fish shouldn't be in the tank until at least 6 weeks in I would think, and you should start with the firefish/goby, as clowns are territorial and will claim the whole tank if put in first.

If you ever want to do corals (which you probably will lol) you will need a T5 Light of some sort, and do not skimp out of such things.

On that note, don't skimp out on anything for a salt tank, it WILL bite you in the rear later on.

Welcome to the salty side, and good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store