20 long nano reef help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigMatt14

AC Members
Aug 29, 2011
Hey guys,

Going to start a nano reef. Been keeping FW tanks for a long time, but this will be my first marine tank. I've done a lot of research, and I still have one question. Can somebody list a few fish stocking options for me?

I trust my LFS, for the most part, but I'm skeptical about what they're telling me about my stocking options.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Percula or oscellaris clownfish, most goby species, firefish. some of the smaller blennies are some of the types you could stock.

I'd probably go with something like a goby/pistol shrimp pair on the bottom, pair of clownfish, final fish would be something small such a clown goby or barnacle blenny, I wouldn't really push the fish bioload much beyond that. Then you still got the clean up crew, maybe a cleaner shrimp you can add.

What kind of things are they telling you to stock at the fish store?

If you don't already have the tank, Petco still has the $1 sale going I think, a 29g or 40 breeder would open up more options.

BigMatt14

AC Members
Aug 29, 2011
Yeah, I already have the 20L on hand, and I only have room for one more tank at the moment... talk about multiple tank syndrome...

Anyway, LFS is telling me I can do a yellow watchman/pistol shrimp, a pair of clowns, a firefish, a dwarf angel, and another small fish, plus the clean up crew. Doesn't seem right to me.

I do like the yellow watchman/shrimp idea. Outside of that, I'm pretty open. I wouldn't mind clowns, even though everybody has them. Kind of like the royal gramma, but I know nothing about them or their compatibility. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I wouldn't do any angels in less then 29g, they can be pretty active swimmers, some of them can be coral nippers too. You could get away with a gramma in a 20, just one though they can be aggressive towards others of their own species.

Clowns are nice for nano's since they're always out in the open, alot of the other nano tank sized species spend a fair amount of time hiding.

Just research before you buy avoid any aggressive species in that small of tank, especially damsel's fish stores seem to like to try push those on beginners. Some gobies can be aggressive towards other similar looking gobies so be careful there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store