Aqueon Evolve 8 - pros/cons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
I have a Marineland 5 bowfront in my kitchen. It's been great except for one big design flaw - if the pump gets knocked off level even slightly, you've got a flood on your floor. After 4 or 5 floods, I'm looking for a replacement.

It's for FW - 3 guppies, 4 small tetra, and a couple of snails.

Aqueon 8 looks good, but it's pricey and has no visible sealant at the tank base. Has anyone had one? Is it a good tank?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The Aqueon 8 is an acrylic tank. The bottom and side panels are glued together with acrylic glue. There is no sealant.

I have one but it's not fair for me to comment as I helped design it (I work in R&D for Aqueon).

Andy

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
I got one and put it up yesterday - transferred the water, plants, gravel, filter, and fish from my old tank to the new one. So far, so good - everyone's happy.

It's a gorgeous little tank. The light in particular is fantastic. The "instructions" are an absolute joke, though. You kind of have to figure it out on your own, though that's not too difficult.

The Evolve has a nice lid and plenty of air flow. The pump and filter are in their own compartment and shouldn't leak at all. On the downside, whoever said this is an 8-gl is trippin'. The living space for the fish is maybe 6 gl.

The pump DOES make some noise, but I suspect that's because I don't have it anchored to the bottom of the compartment it's in. Next time I do a water change, I'll try to stick it on better.

I still think it's overpriced. But given that I paid $50-something for the Marineland tank that's been causing floods on my kitchen counter for months (design flaw), I was willing to throw in the extra $30 to end that mess for good.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Aqueon Evolve 8 set up

It's a perfect size for the kitchen counter. And the denizens (2 each guppies, neon tetra, headlight tetra and a bunch of plants) seem pretty happy.

newtank.jpgnewtank closeup.jpg

newtank.jpg newtank closeup.jpg

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I am glad you like the tank.

If you look it doesn't say anywhere that it's an 8 gallon tank. It's a size 8. Aquariums are standardly sized by their outside dimensions not their net volumes.

We made the instructions as simple as possible. There is a Youtube video with more detailed instructions here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-op9DP2uvc

The Evolve costs more than the cheaper molded plastic kits because it is made from hand formed and glued acrylic in the U.S.A. and not injection molded plastic from China. We also increased the pump size and lighting compared to other kits in the size range so people could be more successful with plants and even nano reefs.

If you ever have any questions about the Evolve please feel free to let me know!

Andy

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My friend set one up as a pico reef, I think he got 6.6 gallons when he measured the volume of it. Seems like a pretty decent tank compared to any of the other sub $100 acrylic kits or all in ones. Seems miles ahead of the little marinelands with the junky in hood filter deals.

Dympna

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2012
Aqueon Evolve 4

Hi Andy,

Do you happen to have any advice regarding the loud pump that comes with the unit? I'm sure that you are aware via other forums that this can be a problem with some units.

I purchased the Evolve 4 and really like the tank but the noise from the pump is excessive. It seems to be a combination of the suction cups repeatedly becoming detached from the unit and noise from within the pump itself.

Thank you.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Hi Andy,

Do you happen to have any advice regarding the loud pump that comes with the unit? I'm sure that you are aware via other forums that this can be a problem with some units.

I purchased the Evolve 4 and really like the tank but the noise from the pump is excessive. It seems to be a combination of the suction cups repeatedly becoming detached from the unit and noise from within the pump itself.

Thank you.
I have the evolve 4 make sure the pump doesn't come in contact with the side wall of the pump chamber. I have my tank at my bed side. Also make sure the impeller is clean.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
What Just Prince said. The pump in the Evolve 4 and 8 is the SP-98 pump and can do almost 100 gph which is pretty strong and great for the pico reef and planted tanks.

But when it rubs against the side the normal vibration of the pump will resonate with the walls of the aquarium and get loud. If the pump is sitting flat on the bottom and not touching the sides it's not loud. I have one of each in my office and I don't even notice it.
Another thing you can do to reduce noise is to put a filter pad under and around the pump to cushion it and reduce the vibration resonance as well.

Andy

Dympna

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2012
Thank you both for your advice. I'll try to cushion the pump and also find a way to prevent the suction cups from becoming detached.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store