What to use for a 240g lid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
Hey everyone... my husband tried making a top for my 240g long tank out of plexiglass. It worked really well at the beginning, but now a month later, it is bowing and when he tried to fix it, ended up cracking it. What I am looking for is something he can maybe custom drill or cut so that my pumps and cords can all go through it, but I am looking at killis for my tank and I know that they jump, so it needs to fit well! Has anyone had luck ordering a top? Or is there a place someone can recommend I look?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If the aquarium has the standard lip to hold a glass canopy, either order the proper canopy (if available) or have your local glass company cut some 3/16" or 1/4" glass panes for you after you provide them with the correct dimensions. You could then purchase the plastic back strips that come with standard glass canopies and cut out for the cords.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Acrylic and plexi products will always sag in the presence of moisture.
Lexon works well, but glass is the less expensive solution.
Shop around. Glass suppliers prices vary. A smaller place may not want to bother with one off custom work. A larger shop may put you off unless you tell them there is no hurry.

Assassynation

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
I know it may not be an option for you but look what I did!

or you can go the more tradional route and build a wood canopy.

More details in my thread

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store