Other kinds of dwarf cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
What other kinds of dwarf South American cichlids are there, besides Apistos? If any, I mean.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I didnt see the American sorry.
No problem. I'm interested in only the SA because I naturally have the perfect water for them. I'm too lazy to mix up hard water for the Africans. I'm considering my stocking options when I finally get my larger tank up and running. The checkerboards are adorable!

I wonder if there's such a thing as dwarf discus?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
African dwarf cichlids like the same water type as SA dwarf cichlids. Kribs, A. thomasi, etc. would do fine in your water.

I'm hugely fond of Bolivian rams...not the most colorful of dwarfs, but one of the most outgoing and social with people in the room. Nanacara anomola males are stunning when you can find them, but the tiny female will drive your male into the top corner of a tank unless you're in a 29 gallon or larger (females are stellar parents).

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I've kept both, and I found curviceps to be more outgoing than dorsigera...also more peaceful. However, that's just my experience. I also like curviceps colors a bit better, but that is clearly, clearly my opinion. If I recall correctly, curviceps is more forgiving regarding water types.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store