Est cost of tranfering from fw to sw

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Can anyone give me an estimated cost of switching a 110 gallon fw tank to a sw tank? I ask because there maybe some things I am overlooking...

1st do I need live sand? If so is it the same 1lb of sand per gallon(ish?)
2) some of my equipment should be able to work in sw such as my brand new canister filter and my hob filters. Does sw require as heavy mechanical filtration?
My lights will also be fine if I put in new bulbs (its a 3 bulb T-5 fixture). I will need powerheads tho.

what size and how many powerheads will I need? I think I would like to keep easy corals.

Basically I know very little about sw setups and would like a rundown of what equipment I need and how much the cost will be for sand, rock, etc.

Btw for rock I think I would order a large amount of dry rock and seed it with live rock as that seems most economical, how much is required for adequate biological filtration?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Dry dead aragonite sand is fine, the bagged 'live' sand is mostly dead by the time you get it. A couple cups of sand out of established system will help speed up yours in establishing life though. Same formula as determining FW sand.

HOB's and canisters work in SW, sumps are the best way to go though. You may want to ditch some of the media you may use in FW though like bioballs. Just need pad, floss or sponge to catch what your skimmer doesn't get, and maybe some purigen or gfo to help with water quality.

Lights are T5HO or NO? 110g is around 24" tall? NO won't let you do much coral wise, maybe some very easy low light softies on the top of your rock like xenia and gsp, even 3 HO's is going to limit what corals you can keep, HO's could be supplemented later on by adding a couple high quality led strips, but NO is a total lost cause IMO.

Circulation pumps I'd do 2 atleast 1250gph+ each.

Rock, 1lbs-1.5lbs per gallon is a good target point. I like marcorocks.com for dry rock, my last order was a hair over $2 a lbs with shipping vs $4lbs + tax at LFS. Live rock for seeding in LFS will usually cost $5-6 lbs. Bulkreefsupply.com sometimes has good deals on dry rock as well.

Other equipment you'll need, refractometer($25-$40) Basic SW master test kit to start with ($20) salt 150-200g mix(40-50) cheap pump to mix salt(marineland maxi jet $14) the circulation pumps for your tank (40-50ea) HOB Skimmer you'll want once you start adding corals($125-225) RODI unit $160-200, dry arag sand $20ish per 30-40lbs bag.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Thank you, I didnt think about many of these things and thats exactly why I asked lol I think ill keep it fw for now as I dont have $600 ish + livestock to drop right now

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
You can do what I'm doing and build the tank slowly. I've currently got just the sand and some dead base rock in my tank. I'll be adding water now that I have salt for it, and will let the tank run on its own while I go about gathering the other things I need. This way when I finally get to the fish I am completely ready for it and already cycled and everything.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Initial startup costs are high, but like said above you can do it slowly, and if you shop around and keep an eye out places like craigslist deals can be had, I sometimes see people selling dead rock from tanks they broke down cheap like $1 a lbs.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Ok then let me ask this, do wcs need to be done as frequently? ( I do them weekly now) and if so do they need to be large (i do 40-50%)?? my lights are HO btw and I would probably buy water from the store in 5 gal jugs rather than my own ro system

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
With no skimmer, weekly yes, you can go longer with a skimmer but at the cost of adding more chemicals to help replace the lost minerals like calcium and stronium that get used by corals. 20-30% is the size of the change you want. Buying water from the LFS is ok but keep in mind they probably charge between 40 cents upto $1 a gallon, your own RODI will be cheaper in the long run.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Those first couple of pieces look kinda scary, not sure of what all is on them, but looks like a lot of things I wouldn't want in my tank.

Im assuming those were harvested recently.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Looks like base rock in the pics, fine for seeding, wouldn't fill the tank with it though, its heavier and less porous then the typical stuff you would want to mostly use. You could use that as your base level then stack more porous type dry rocks on top http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reef-saver-dry-aquarium-live-rock.html this would be how you'd want the majority of your rock to look.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store