nandopsis Salvini from south Florida(where to buy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

downlinx

AC Members
Jul 14, 2011
ok, guys, i am working on a South Florida stream Biotope and i need some help trying to find some nandopsis Salvini from that area, Does anyone have any information on where i could buy these species of cichlids? I am trying to avoid getting the central american version if possible.
cichlasoma_salvini_male_1.jpg

any help would greatly be appriciated and thank you.

cichlasoma_salvini_male_1.jpg

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
This species is native to Central America. Those that are found in Florida are the same species that have been illegally introduced/released. I'm sure there is a breeding population of them, but they still are the same fish as what you'd naturally get from C. America or breeders here in the States. So ironically, your S. Florida biotope will feature a 'non-native' species.

downlinx

AC Members
Jul 14, 2011
This species is native to Central America. Those that are found in Florida are the same species that have been illegally introduced/released. I'm sure there is a breeding population of them, but they still are the same fish as what you'd naturally get from C. America or breeders here in the States. So ironically, your S. Florida biotope will feature a 'non-native' species.
thank you very much, it looks like i will be looking for a new centerpiece fish. i appriciate you bringing this to my attention.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
thank you very much, it looks like i will be looking for a new centerpiece fish. i appriciate you bringing this to my attention.
To make things a bit easier on ya, there are no cichlids native to Florida. Ya may consider a sunfish species as a centerpiece fish; I can't tell ya what species are native to Florida, though.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store