Anyone else notice this new Craigslist trend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Yes, I've been known to make posts complaining about the people on Craigslist before and this likely won't be the last. (These people bother me and I like complaining.) Let's move on from that.

I keep seeing people saying in their title that such and such animal(s) need a foster. Then you click in and it's the person going away on vacation or whatever for a while and they need someone to look after their pets. But they don't want to hire a sitter. Instead they're hoping to find someone to "foster" their pets for them for free while they're gone but of course, they'll be nice enough to provide food and other supplies.

I'm seeing more and more posts like this. Craigslist people...

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
haven't noticed, but I do need to get my new year resolution completed. i vowed to eat a guinea pig. I just can't lie to people... even if they're trying to sell their companion. and i don't wanna pay $30 at a pet store for 1 meal. I need a darn guinea pig.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Craigslist was very much founded on the idea of community, and "paying it forward". There's much more to the site than the "for sale" and "jobs" categories.

What's the problem with someone who loves their pet wanting to find a friendly member of their community who also loves pets, that would be willing to do them a solid, so that they are able to afford to go on a trip? Who's to say they wouldn't be willing to do the same for other people in a similar situation?

I "fostered" a fish through Craigslist while it's owner fixed their leaking fish tank. I didn't ask for, expect, or receive any money for it. I did it solely because the fish and it's owner were in need, and I wanted to help people in my community, regardless of the fact that they were complete strangers. Also, as I assume most people have done at some point or another, I've also watched countless family pets for free while my relatives went on vacation.

Treating complete strangers as you would your own family. What a horrible concept, right?

I guess I just don't see it as people trying to be cheap and scam free pet care, but rather as a way of for them to request help from a community of people, many of which are willing to help those in the community simply out of the goodness of their heart. It's a mentality that didn't used to be uncommon.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Craigslist was very much founded on the idea of community, and "paying it forward". There's much more to the site than the "for sale" and "jobs" categories.

What's the problem with someone who loves their pet wanting to find a friendly member of their community who also loves pets, that would be willing to do them a solid, so that they are able to afford to go on a trip? Who's to say they wouldn't be willing to do the same for other people in a similar situation?

I "fostered" a fish through Craigslist while it's owner fixed their leaking fish tank. I didn't ask for, expect, or receive any money for it. I did it solely because the fish and it's owner were in need, and I wanted to help people in my community, regardless of the fact that they were complete strangers. Also, as I assume most people have done at some point or another, I've also watched countless family pets for free while my relatives went on vacation.

Treating complete strangers as you would your own family. What a horrible concept, right?

I guess I just don't see it as people trying to be cheap and scam free pet care, but rather as a way of for them to request help from a community of people, many of which are willing to help those in the community simply out of the goodness of their heart. It's a mentality that didn't used to be uncommon.
Where is the like buttons for this post?

Kakashi

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Chico CA
Real Name
Bryan

Although I agree with the overall meaning of your post I don't think the context of the OP's gripe is off base at all. In the spirit of "community" if you are going on a VACATION of all things (not an emergency unless stated) and couldn't bother to save up another 25 to 50 bucks as an "offering" for someone babysitting, well then that's just lazy imo..... I love my fish like my dogs, and if they need to be taken care of for an extended period of time because I decided to go on vacation (and couldn't find a friend), then I am gosh darn going to make sure I at least save up money to have someone "capable" take care of my fish. Just my "two cents".

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
Believe me, I get what you are saying. Neither of you would take care of someone else's pet for free, as you feel it is a service that deserves payment. That's a perfectly valid opinion, no problems there. In many cases, especially highly experienced or professional petsitters, kennels, stables, etc. I agree 100% with payment being well deserved.

The point I'm making however, is that there are ordinary people out there, such as myself, that love animals, whom are willing to do favors for strangers in their community for personal reasons that go beyond financial motivation, and Craigslist is the most likely place to find them. Knowing that, I'm not seeing how there's anything wrong with an ad like that. If you're not interested in doing it, whatever your reasons may be; by all means, don't respond to the ad. But why try and paint the ad poster as a bad person, when all they're doing is looking for some help from friendly people in their community that are happy to give it?

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Although I agree with the overall meaning of your post I don't think the context of the OP's gripe is off base at all. In the spirit of "community" if you are going on a VACATION of all things (not an emergency unless stated) and couldn't bother to save up another 25 to 50 bucks as an "offering" for someone babysitting, well then that's just lazy imo..... I love my fish like my dogs, and if they need to be taken care of for an extended period of time because I decided to go on vacation (and couldn't find a friend), then I am gosh darn going to make sure I at least save up money to have someone "capable" take care of my fish. Just my "two cents".
Yes. That is what I'm saying. ^

I watch my pet's and family's pets for free because I know they'll return the favor, as well as dogs I've rescued for their new owners or their fosters because I like to thank them for rescuing, but for strangers? Why when they most likely wouldn't return the favor. Pet sitting is a service, just as much as any other service. It's kind of like hoping that a vet will give your pet free medical care, or a groomer will groom for free, a dog trainer will train your dog for free, etc.

Maybe it's because I'm a misanthrope and an admitted pessimist but I see it as being a cheapskate and wanting to get out of paying for a service.

Sure, I don't have to volunteer to "foster" for people who don't want to pay for a service but it's just a post pointing something out, that's all. No big.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Although I'm not culturally used to considering guinea pigs as food, I guess if it's humanely slaughtered and it lived a decent life up to that point also, it's pretty much the same as any other animal being eaten.

You should give nutria a try.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Have to say we don't have any rose-colored glasses over here. That being said does not mean that everyone here is closed off and callous. We have a friendly neighborhood and often take care of each other's pets while someone is on vacation. Outside of the neighborhood, no one will do anything gratis out of the kindness of their little pea-pickin' heart. Then again, with the exception of one family, everyone has been here 15 or more years. There have been too many lawsuits in the papers about this so-called "CL Fostering". In each case one tried to take advantage of the other party for various reasons. If you can afford a vacation, you can afford to PAY some to care for your pet(s).

Let me know how the little rodent tastses.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store