Volitan Lionfish minimum tank size

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Master

Needs more fish tanks
Aug 17, 2012
Colorado
At my lfs I saw this awesome volitan lionfish. My mom's letting me get a reef tank. How big of a tank would I need?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Volitans get large over a foot, you need about a 125g. Not the most reef friendly either, shouldn't bother corals but shrimp, crabs and some other inverts won't make it nor any smaller reef fishes.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Skip the reef and stick with a FOWLR with a lionfish. You can house a smaller lionfish species in a 75g, but a Volitans will need much more room. 125g sounds about right.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Volitans get large over a foot, you need about a 125g. Not the most reef friendly either, shouldn't bother corals but shrimp, crabs and some other inverts won't make it nor any smaller reef fishes.
I agree, they can live in a 75 for a while, but when they are 14" I wouldn't keep them in a 75. They are not very active, and like to lay down on rocks/corals. Not good for a reef tank IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
At my lfs I saw this awesome volitan lionfish. My mom's letting me get a reef tank. How big of a tank would I need?
Have you thought about Fu Manchu lionfish? They are smaller, and don't need as big of a tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Have you thought about Fu Manchu lionfish? They are smaller, and don't need as big of a tank.
But a Volitan is soooo much better. Get them to get you a bigger tank. :)

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
But a Volitan is soooo much better. Get them to get you a bigger tank. :)
I bought a 75 instead of a 40-55 for a volitan (and snowflake moray) :) Now I get to pay for a lot more LR -_-

Dwarf fuzzy and russel's lionfish are also good options if you can't have a larger tank.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I'd take a Mombasae over a Volitans lionfish anyday. They are also a better fit for a 75g aquarium. If either of you want a lionfish for a 75g, look into them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store