Which of these nanos is better?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
So I decided against spending the $700+ to transfer my 110 to SW but just the thought of having a sw now basically requires that I do... lol so christmass is coming up and I figure why not get one of these and have my first SW tank?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+14013+21183&pcatid=21183

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20024+18524&pcatid=18524

So my only real question is, which one is better? I like the "look" of both differently, the 24g one has a smaller top while the 28g ones top looks bulky and goofy but has a much nicer stand IMO. But is there any known difference in the quality of the two or are they basically the same? I really want to get one of these or one just like it that comes with a free stand, they look nice and I feel like putting my nice SW tank on a countertop somewhere will just look kind of crappy, plus for $250 or $300 (+ a whopping $7 shipping) these seem like a pretty good deal. Plus they come with the easy factor of all the parts being in place which will be nice I think for my first sw setup.

Also what additional things will I need with one of these? I feel like the 28g one comes with more stuff (2x powerheads, a wavemaker, 2x directional flow nozzles). so things I know I would need
Salt, hydrometer, heater appropriate to the size as all of mine are 300w, a skimmer?, substrate, live rock.

I think with all the stuff mentioned in the other thread is covered here.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Bigger is better, also I think some people have problems fitting skimmers in the back compartment on the 24. The main downside to the cubes is the lighting, CF is pretty weak, you can do some softies, zoas, but wouldn't count on doing any lps or sps. People do mod's to the lid's though upgrading it to LED's and I think a few retrofit kits are available where you basically just screw the new components in place.

I would get a refractometer over the hydrometer. SW test kits, Skimmer I would avoid the ones meant to be used in nano and biocubes they use an airstone and are problematic, the aquatic life 115 skimmer fits in the back compartment of the 28 and is pretty decent for the price($60) You also may want to look into eventually ditching the media they sell for the kit and getting a media basket from intank, along with light for the back compartment so you can add some chaeto back there.

AquaticAustin

AC Members
Sep 29, 2011
Orlando, Fl (UCF)
Just the type of answer I was looking for! Ok so ill get the 28 then, only $50 more and I like its stand lol. What do you mean get a media basket from intank, is that a brand or?? (never seen the insides of one of these so im not sure what the media is) and you mean putting a light into the back to grow something? Also as this is my first SW tank im not concerned about the lps or sps yet but I would like to do something so knowing that I can do softies/zoas is all I need for now and that the possibility of upgrade is perfect. I know SW stocking is completely different than FW, I 100% want a pair of clownfish (probably the smallest kind with this tank size), I would really like a shrimp, can I fit any other fish into this setup?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store